Dip Tube Length-Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
I'll be kegging for the first time tonight and I was wonering if I need to shorten or bend up the dip tube on my corny keg. The dip tube fits into a recessed area in the bottom of the keg.
My fear is that I will be picking up sediment from the bottom every time I pour.
Is this something I have to worry about?
Cheers!

If you crash-cool your fermenter and rack above the fallen sediment, there will be very little left in what goes in the keg. As well, if you then use a "set and forget" forced carbonation strategy, that little bit of sediment will coat the bottom of the keg by the time it's ready for serving, so the very first pull might pull up a little bit of cloudiness, but from that point it's clear beer all the way.

Using that process I never found a need to shorten the dip tubes on any of my kegs...

Cheers!

Thanks for the response.
I'm cold crashing now, it will be 24 hours this evening when I keg.
I'll be setting my CO2 at 18psi from today until St. Patty's day, when i'll purge and reset to 8psi.

a lot of sediment comes out and coats the bottom of my kegs, i don't cold crash before kegging, and i often naturally carb in them since i don't have extra space in my fridge, but each time you can see that only the sediment right within maybe 2cm of the dip tube actually gets sucked up, the rest just doesn't move and the beer always pours clear after the first glass or two

Back