clone chimay and westvleteren 12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOMEBREWZ

Reaction score
hey was just wondering if anyone had a really close to or exact match clone recipe to the chimay triple and or westvleteren 12 beers ive made a few chimay clones which come out well but just a touch off so i want to see what other ppl have done and ive never tasted the westvleteren 12:( but i have a recipe in mind for trying it out based on how ive heard other ppl say it tasted and other clones ive seen also if it could be in extract form or PM would be good i usually do a bit of PMing in my beer so thats cool thanks:mug:

Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus.

Read it. Make Belgian beers following Trappist brewing practices (typically meaning a hot primary and very cold secondary - I brew a Trappist-inspired dubbel in the mid 70s for a week and then at 30 for two). Then, try to tweak the details to make your clones.

ive started to culture yeasts from other breweries maybe i can capture the chimay strain and try using it

Traditional Westvleteren 12
18-E Belgian Dark Strong Ale

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 348.06 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.103 (1.075 - 1.110)
Terminal Gravity: 1.026 (1.010 - 1.024)
Color: 33.16 (12.0 - 22.0)
Alcohol: 10.31% (8.0% - 11.0%)
Bitterness: 49.0 (20.0 - 35.0)

Ingredients:
1.0 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 120.0 m
1.0 oz Hersbrucker (4.0%) - added during boil, boiled 25.0 m
1.0 oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 25.0 m
7.25 lb Standard 2-Row
8.0 lb Pilsen Malt
3.0 lb Candi Sugar(D2)
Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:46:21 Mash In - Liquor: 4.77 gal; Strike: 168.72 °F; Target: 152.0 °F
01:46:21 Sacc Rest - Rest: 60.0 m; Final: 150.8 °F
01:46:21 Batch Sparge - First Runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 m; Sparge #1: 2.36 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 m; Sparge #2: 2.36 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 m; Total Runoff: 7.34 gal

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.18

Culturing the Westy 12 yeast would always be a plus..

Culturing the Westy 12 yeast would always be a plus..

Westvleteren gets their yeast from Westmalle, which is easier to get your hands on as a yeast source. Even easier is Wyeast 3787 or WLP 530, both of which come from cultures originally harvested at Westmalle.

As for your grain bill, the following info comes from Brew Like A Monk: it's made to an OG of 1.090 (though the original recipe from the 1930s was 1.120, 12 degrees Belgian, hence the name, they've reduced it since then), 40 SRM (a bit darker than your proposed recipe), and 38 IBU (a little less than yours, but a comparable BU:GU ratio).

About the Westvleteren 8, which is also a dark beer but not quite as intense as the 12, he says that the only malts are pilsener and pale, with sucrose and caramelized sugar adjuncts (in other words, all of the color comes from candi sugar, albeit in liquid rather than solid form). In this, it matches your recipe quite well, though you'll want to consider more or darker candi sugar, though some of the color may also come from a longer boil (your 120m will get it a bit darker than the stated 33). I would also add white sugar to lighten the body and produce a certain vinous aroma. Most strong Trappist beers are about 20% sugar adjuncts total; I'm going to guess that yours comes out with a heavier body than the real product. (Your quoted attenuation is low, at least - Westvleteren 12 reportedly gets an apparent attenuation of 86%.)

Your hop schedule is probably fairly close to correct, though you'll want to scale back unless you want a hoppier beer than the monks brew.

Because of how much the yeast contributes to the character of a good Trappist-inspired beer, you'll want to pay careful attention to the temperature schedule. Westvleren pitches their yeast at 68F, but allows it to rise over 80 over the course of their primary fermentation (which is less than a week long). Secondary is at 50F, until it drops clear (typically 8-10 weeks). They bottle condition for 12 days at 79F. When I do my own trappist-styled beers I'm aiming closer to the Achel fermentation schedule of one week at 75-80F (which I get by brewing in the warmest room in the house) and two weeks at about 30F (a dedicated minifridge dialed down that cold); I suspect that chilling your wort more than I do and then doing primary in a warm room will let you mimic the rising temperature primary of the Westvleteren.

Have you tried W12 and your clone side by side? How did they stack up?

Back