Would it hurt to try one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch exactly 1 week ago today. Now I know it is supposed to bottle condition at least 2 weeks but I am antsy. Would I be just wasting a beer or would I get a good idea as to how it will taste? Will it just be undercarbed?

I usually try one or two after a week..it's already beer. Sure it will get better but I say enjoy it - if nothing else it's educational.

It'll probably be undercarbed (maybe hardly carbed at all; don't panic if that's the case). It also may taste kind of "green" or young; it'll get better.

The beer may or may not taste all that good, but I'd never call it a waste; it's research! It's good to have an idea of what the beer tastes like at all stages, so I'd go ahead and take a sample.

If it's your first batch, sure, try one each week - it's educational. I noticed a tremendous difference between beers that have been in the bottle 3 days vs. one week, vs. two weeks, vs. three weeks and beyond.

3 weeks seems to be the magic number for me. They really settle in after that long. Now I don't even bother opening them until they hit 3 weeks.

Ya know it wasn't half bad. Not very carbed but had barely enough. Had a slight raw hop taste? I'm assuming that is a green beer taste. It was actually pretty drinkable. I'll try another in 1 more week. I'm thinking this batch is going to be a success.

i usually try one at ten days, 14 days, then 21 days and you can really tell the difference when you let it sit.

hopefully you learned from an early opening and will be able to hold off on the rest. one of my first batches, i tried one after a week and it was pretty good but i didn't have the patience to wait and i drank most of them within the 3 week period. by the time i finished the last one, it had become a REALLY good beer. looking back i realized i wasted really good beer on mediocre beer and impatience.

keep trying them to learn about the process and what those extra days will do.

i usually try one at ten days, 14 days, then 21 days and you can really tell the difference when you let it sit.

hopefully you learned from an early opening and will be able to hold off on the rest. one of my first batches, i tried one after a week and it was pretty good but i didn't have the patience to wait and i drank most of them within the 3 week period. by the time i finished the last one, it had become a REALLY good beer. looking back i realized i wasted really good beer on mediocre beer and impatience.

keep trying them to learn about the process and what those extra days will do.

Oh yeah. It's definitely not ready. I'm anxious to see what it is like next week now. I'm going to make it my football tradition to try a home brew each Sunday to see how it is doing.

Back