What time of day do you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
I like to start first thing in the morning around 7am so that i can have breakfast while water is heating and grains are steeping. and I can be done by noon with the rest of the day to relax. how bout you guys what time do you start?

usually ill start right around midnight. maybe sooner if i need to use the carboy thats got a brew in it. (bottling time)

I've never done it at 7am, but I do like it early-ish as well. I used to have to brew at 5pm due to a work schedule, and I definitely didn't like that. 3PM was still sort of meh, but 10AM is fantastic.

Don't forget the golden rule though, it's OK to drink beer in the AM if you're brewing.

When brewing alone, I usually start around 9 or 10 in the morning so I can have lunch during the boil and be finished by the afternoon. When brewing with friends it's usually more after lunch so we can just hang out and drink/watch a movie after.

Early morning, 8 or 9 am. If I try to do it after noon, I think I'd drink too much and never finish.

I always try to start early but then I don't and I don't even start until after noon. Once I start all-grain I'm sure I'll start much earlier since there is more to do!

And hell, I don't think it is too early to drink at any time, while brewing or not :tank:

On weekend days I usually crush grains and start heating water and set up 9:00 or so. On brewcation days I usually get a bit later start getting the SWMBO and kid outta the house. I used to do extract batches after work and finish with cleanup by midnight or so, but once I started All-Grain, I needed a more significant chunk of time,

Usually start heating strike water around 10, usually done around 2 give or take an hour. Alot depends on how smooth the brew-day is and if i'm doing a 5 or a 10 gallon batch.

10 or 11am are the ideal times for me to start. This way I get to have lunch and time to do whatever else I need during the day. I only do partial mashes so the time investment isn't as large as AG.

Weekends only for me since I have a 6 year old and a 9 month old and work Monday-Friday. I usually start when they go to bed around 7-8 and yes it sucks cause I dont get finished till late at night but im slowly making/purchasing things that will make my brew night faster. First on the list was obviously a IC.

I also enjoy an early-ish brew day. Usually around 8-9. I'm lucky in the fact that I only work 10 days a month, so the time of day/day of the week doesn't mean much to me.
And yes, it's always acceptable to drink while brewing, no matter the time!

Usually 7 am-ish, rarely much later than that, occasionally start building/heating water and measuring out grains a little earlier. Eat breakfast after the threat of boilover has passed.

If I need to brew a batch during the week I'll leave work at 4 and have mash water etc getting to temp by around 5ish... mash started by 6 which has me done chilled and cleaned up by midnight. Weekends are a bit earlier but I almost never start before 10am-12pm.

just finished my batch started at 8am. now time to get some chinese for lunch and videogames the rest of the day. first day off in forever sweet.

I usually set my alarm for 7-7:30 am, then I finally get out to the garage and start pulling stuff out around 9-10. It's not nearly as exciting as it used to be. I used to have water heating by 8. I'm hoping to get a 3.5G indoor setup built relatively soon so I can brew in the evenings indoors during the winter.

I try to have my strike water going by 7AM on the weekends, that way i'm done with clean up and everything by around 11:30. If i have to brew during the week, i get going right after work at 5 so that I'm done by 10

First thing in the morning, more or less. Saturday or Sunday morning. Usually measure out grain, get it ground, measure out my hop additions while getting the kids fed first thing in the morning (Bean likes to help grind the malt, mostly so she can eat some). If I've got my strike water heated up by 8:00-9:00, I can be done brewing by noon or 1:00 and still have the rest of the day free. Family's usually gone for most of the brew session, which makes life easier and the whole process a bit more relaxing.

I start anywhere from 10a to 1pm. I set aside the whole day.

I wish I could, but unless I'm going to someone else's house to brew, it just can't happen. That may be why I seem to brew at other people's houses (usually two or three hours away) more than my own!

Me and my friends call our homebrew "Midnight Brew" because of our schedules (work/school) we rarely ever brew earlier then 11pm, usually means we get done at like 3am.

brew days tend to be Friday's (I do 4x10 at the real job vs her 5x8s) and so once SWMBO is out the door at 6:45am the waters on the stove by 7am.

I have started a brew everywhere between 5am and 10pm. I generally like to brew during the morning/day though because it's a lot easier to see what the hell I'm doing during daylight hours.

Usually if I'm planning on a AG brew I will target starting between 6-8am.

As early as possible but it's alway at night due to a 4yr old and 6mth old. If I can get grains steeping by 10p I'm done with a partial mash around 1am ish. I clean as I go so other than the kettle once I flame out and cool pretty much done.

8 or 9 for me, Unless I tipped a few the night before. Then it's usually 10ish..It's so fun brewing when your a little under the weather..:drunk:

OK, this might look a bit anal, but I did it a few weeks back before doing a double brew day.

Yeah, two 10G batches was a long day!

brewing_timeline.jpg

I like to start first thing in the morning around 7am so that i can have breakfast while water is heating and grains are steeping. and I can be done by noon with the rest of the day to relax. how bout you guys what time do you start?

I'm still a poor peasant brewing extract batches. Usually start around 1pm. Since I work nights, if I have a brew day scheduled for the pipeline and need to be at work that evening, I start @ 6AM, much to the chagrin of my daughter who likes to help (Father-Daughter bonding) but doesn't like getting up that early. Though props to her she has gotten up every time.

I brew alone, so very early, usually around 5 A.M. It works best for me. I'm finished and cleaned up, usually by 11:00

6 pm. Or thereabouts. I usually brew on a weeknight when I don't have to be in the office early the next day, so I crush my grains and measure my strike water the night before. When I get home, with my 3 year old in tow, I start the strike water, and have time to get her some dinner before mashing in, then most of the work lands after she has gone to bed!

I always say I'm gonna brew early but that never happens. My last batch, I wound up waking up late, going to the gym, forgetting that I needed to pick something up from the home brew shop, next thing I know, I'm brewing at 3pm and cleaning out my equipment with the hose outside at 7pm and the water is freezing all over the place since its so damn cold out here in NJ.. Cannot wait till summer, or smaller batches I can do inside.

I usually start around 12 or 1 pm as I like my sleep. That would have me done by 4 or 5 finishing up the brew with dinner. I don't tend to drink while I brew and that seems to help get things done faster.

When I can I prefer to start my brewday at around 10AM. But with a SWMBO and a 3 year old I typically can't start heating my water until 8:00PM just before he goes to bed. Which sucks because I'm typically not done until 1:00AM

I like to start right after my daughter gets on the bus for school (0630). SWIMBO sleeps later, so I try and be as quiet as possible. I work a rotating shift and have a side business so it's usually never the same day of the week. I prefer weekdays though.

Back