Hard Cider: Blew its airlock - how to keep clean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhcrusoe

Reaction score
Hey all,

I started a mean batch of hard cider last night, and have it in a 3G carboy. The formula was:
* 3G fresh apple cider
* 1.5lbs brown sugar (stong, eh?)
* two cinnamon sticks during pasteurization
* 1 nutmeg nut, ground
* 1.5tsp yeast nutrient

I made a starter with honey and water, and added Lavin LV-1118 yeast into the mix.

It started bubbling away overnight, and at this moment, the bubbling is FIERCE. All that sugar and nutrient make for a fast ferment!

Anyway, this has never happened before: it blew its airlock! I'm guessing that the airlock just wasn't able to keep up.

So, what to do? In the short-term, I've made a turned pipe from tinfoil; but how to keep this clean in the long run? Any ideas? How quickly will it slow down to airlock levels?

Thanks!
--Dave

Hey all,

I started a mean batch of hard cider last night, and have it in a 3G carboy. The formula was:
* 3G fresh apple cider
* 1.5lbs brown sugar (stong, eh?)
* two cinnamon sticks during pasteurization
* 1 nutmeg nut, ground
* 1.5tsp yeast nutrient

I made a starter with honey and water, and added Lavin LV-1118 yeast into the mix.

It started bubbling away overnight, and at this moment, the bubbling is FIERCE. All that sugar and nutrient make for a fast ferment!

Anyway, this has never happened before: it blew its airlock! I'm guessing that the airlock just wasn't able to keep up.

So, what to do? In the short-term, I've made a turned pipe from tinfoil; but how to keep this clean in the long run? Any ideas? How quickly will it slow down to airlock levels?

Thanks!
--Dave

No matter what I'm fermenting despite some strains of yeast, I always use a blow off tube for the first few days. It will usually only blow off for the first 2-3 days (if at all). You can make a blow off tube a bunch of different ways. Check some the forum out, or look at these pics for some inspiration http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...off+tube&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=f&oq=&gs_rfai=. Also, you shouldn't make starters for dry yeast. You should simply rehydrate in warm water.

Latest posts

Back