Question in Roasted Barley for Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night a brewed 3 gallon deliciously-smelling batch of Vanilla Ginger Stout. I used Crystal, Chocolate, and Black Patent malts, intending to add Roasted barley to definitivley make it a Stout, compared to a porter. But I forgot to add. Is there anyway to add this into the brew after yeast has been pitched as the wort is now fermenting? In the Secondary? Do I boil first?

Thanks, a Lot!
Humboldt Homebrews

I agree with Baron about saving it for next time but since the roasted barley is usually such a small percentage of the grain bill and doesn't contribute much to fermentables anyhow, you could probably do a small mash/boil on the stove and then add that wort to your primary. It shouldn't screw things up too much and you will get the roasted barley flavor in your beer. I'd be more hesistant about doing this as more time goes by. If you aren't still solidly in primary fermentation, I probably wouldn't do it.

I'll hold with the barron on this one.

If you want the coffee bitterness that the roast adds you can cold steep
some coarse ground coffee beans overnight in boiled cooled water and add to your secondary. I beleive there is some sort of recipie for this somewhere on this site.

A quick "sort-of" hijack;

I made a recipe from Papazian's book that said it was a porter. It was:
6 lbs dark LME
1 lb Crystal 80L
1/4# roasted barley

It has other things added; brown sugar, molassas & cocoa powder. In the description, Papazian refers to this as a porter.

Does the roasted barley make this a stout, or do the added ingredients make it a porter?

Back