NB all grain kits, yay or nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red96jeep

Reaction score
anyone use the northern brewer all grain kit? i'm intrested in getting into all grain and x-mas is right around the corner. they have a 10 gallon kit and a 5 gal kit. are they worth the 200+ bucks that they charge? any personal use? yay or nay?

thanks guys and any other recommendations are welcome, i want to get into all grain but i want something where i dont have to plan out an entire brew system to do it. :tank:

link http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/all-grain-equipment/deluxe-ags

when i made my switch to AG, i made a mash tun out of a cooler with some parts from home depot, total cost was $13. As long as you got a fermenter and a Cooker, there is no need to spend that much $$. I found that donosborn.com was very helpful in the making of a cheap mash tun, IMO.

I went to all grain on the cheap too. Used an existing cooler, made a PVC manifold and a bulkhead drain. I probably only have $25 in it even with the ball valve.

I heat my sparge water in the boil kettle, collect runnings in a plastic bucket.

Since I didn't have the pieces, I went the NB route for the 10gal setup. Buying in pieces would be something like this:

10gal cooler: $45 * 2 = $90
cooler conversions: $30 * 2 = $60
false bottom: $75 * 1 = $75
high temp tubing: $2 * 5ft = $10
low temp tubing: $1 * 5ft = $5
total = $240

So when I broke it down, the $240 at NB for the complete setup was good enough for me.

Since I didn't have the pieces, I went the NB route for the 10gal setup. Buying in pieces would be something like this:

10gal cooler: $45 * 2 = $90
cooler conversions: $30 * 2 = $60
false bottom: $75 * 1 = $75
high temp tubing: $2 * 5ft = $10
low temp tubing: $1 * 5ft = $5
total = $240

So when I broke it down, the $240 at NB for the complete setup was good enough for me.

This will work, no doubt. However, if you batch sparge, you can skip one cooler entirely (although it's easier with two). Also, you can mash in a large paint straining bag and skip the false bottom and the tubing as well. Now you're under $100. You will need a way to do a full boil and cool the hot wort either way.

You don't need two 10 G coolors. Just one as your MLT, a turkey fryer and an immersion chiller.
If you shop around you can save considerably.

You don't need two 10 G coolors. Just one as your MLT, a turkey fryer and an immersion chiller.
If you shop around you can save considerably.

Have to agree with this. Since the NB kit doesn't include a kettle, burner, or chiller, $200 seems like a ridiculous amount of money to me. This isn't to knock anyone else, but honestly, you could do this for much cheaper.

10 Gallon rectangular cooler: $20
Stainless braid, bulkhead, etc (there are a number of tutorials for building these on this site and all over the intrawebs): $35

Um... that's really it. You don't need two coolers to batch sparge. I'm assuming you already have a kettle and burner, but if not, now is really the best time of year to pick up a turkey fryer. And you can build a great IC for less than $50. That's absolutely all you need to go AG, and it's a setup that you can use for years.

Just my $0.02.

what is the advantage of useing two coolers? i see many people here useing just one, that's all i would assume you would need, one MLT and then just a kettle to heat the liquor and sparge water, is the other cooler necessary for fly sparging?

They have the second for a hot liquor tank to free up your kettle. This way you can collect your wort and start it heating for your boil at the same time. Saves some time. I actually do this myself.

i want to get into all grain but i want something where i dont have to plan out an entire brew system to do it.

As mentioned before, with batch sparging that NB set-up is overkill. Assuming you batch sparge, one thing that can make a cooler conversion a real no-brainer is to buy a Kewler Kitz conversion kit (about $30) and a Bazooka screen (about $15). While it costs a little more than getting all the parts separately at a Home-Depot or Lowes, it will save some hassles and make it really easy to convert any cooler you get.

Check out Denny Conn's Cheap & Easy Batch Sparge instructions for how to build the easiest imaginable MLT. I've done 10 10 gal batches so far with this setup and zero issues. Find a used turkey fryer on ebay or craigslist, and you're good to go. I found my keggle at a scrapyard down the road from me. Stainless scrap prices were up pretty high that day, so it cost me $9.10.

I went on the cheap as well, built me a MLT out of an Ice cube Igloo, I have a keg for my HLT and a used 10 gallon kettle of ebay. I have about $150 warped up into it.

Back