will adding a coiuple cups of water to primary shock the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
my stout finished with a higher gravity then i was hoping. can i add a couple ounces of boiling sugar/water to the primary? in hopes of rewaking/starting up the yeast again or will it shock it?

i figure if i add it boiling, i wont have to break out the sanitizer just for the funnel. and its only a few cups into 5gallons

my stout finished with a higher gravity then i was hoping. can i add a couple ounces of boiling sugar/water to the primary? in hopes of rewaking/starting up the yeast again or will it shock it?

i figure if i add it boiling, i wont have to break out the sanitizer just for the funnel. and its only a few cups into 5gallons

If you have a too high SG, why would you want to add sugar? I'm not quite following. Adding boiling water isn't a great idea- it probably will stress any yeast that are still suspended and working.

Why did it end high? Was this an extract or all grain? If extract, sometimes they don't finish any lower...
If ag what was the mash time and temp...

Just adding surag water may not "restart" or "jump start" any percieved pooped out yeast, you may not have ever had a wort that could get to yhe FG you wanted....

no, fg is 1.020, i was hoping 1.010, which is more average for nottingham

it was allgrain

Nottingham (and all yeasts for that matter) don't always go to a specific number. All yeasts eat a percentage of the available sugar. Most worts wont get much below 1.010 unless there was a really long low mash to make more fermentable sugars. Specialty grains (read: roasted barley, flaked barley, etc) increase the likelyhood of a higher finishing gravity.

What was the recipe and OG?

Latest posts

Back