AG Ed's Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is what i've got, never done this so far so any mistakes I made let me know.

batch size 5gal
grain bill 10lbs
Boil Time 1hr.
Trub Loss .5 gal
Equipment loss 1 gal
Mash Thickness 1.25 qt/lb
Grain Temp 78
Target Mash Temp 152

Wort Shrinkage 4%
Grain Absorption .13gal/lb
Percent boiloff per hour 10%/hr

Total water needed 8.67gal
Mash water neede 3.13gal
Sparge water needed 5.54gal
Strike Temp 164

I don't have software, I just used some thing I found at Homebrewing Recipes and Articles

I'll be brewing this tomorrow morning.

I did this one a few weeks ago. Mashed-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After the 1 hr mash, I added 1.5 gallons of water at 180, stirrred and drained. I then added another 3.5 gallons, stirred, let sit for 10 min, drained. My pre-boil was about 6.8 gallons and I boiled off about a 1 gallon in a 10 gal Mega-Pot. 5 gallons exactly went into fermenter. I didn't dump the gunk at the bottom of the pot. Seemed to work out well for my first AG but my initial strike temp was a tad high (grain was 77, strike was 168, should have been 166). Good luck.

Hit and OG of 1.048.....3 points off.

So rather than telling my LHBS to adjust their crush, would telling them to run it threw twice help my efficiency?

I hit 1.048 as well on mine. I've decided to go ahead and get a barley crusher. My pre-crushed grain experience hasn't been that great.....

Mine just hit the 2 week mark in bottles. Time to stick one in the fridge for a taste test!

So rather than telling my LHBS to adjust their crush, would telling them to run it threw twice help my efficiency?

Most likely yes, but then you increase chances of a stuck sparge. I'd adjust for the efficiency you got instead.

You have to save a lot of grain to pay for the BC. I bought the BC more so I could save add'l $$ by buying 55# bags. I don't care if I don't get astronomical efficiency.

This is what i've got, never done this so far so any mistakes I made let me know.

batch size 5gal
grain bill 10lbs
Boil Time 1hr.
Trub Loss .5 gal
Equipment loss 1 gal
Mash Thickness 1.25 qt/lb
Grain Temp 78
Target Mash Temp 152

Wort Shrinkage 4%
Grain Absorption .13gal/lb
Percent boiloff per hour 10%/hr

Total water needed 8.67gal
Mash water neede 3.13gal
Sparge water needed 5.54gal
Strike Temp 164

I don't have software, I just used some thing I found at Homebrewing Recipes and Articles

I'll be brewing this tomorrow morning.

Everyone system is different so your evaporation, dead space lose and boil off will be unique to your system . You will need to do a few batches and determine your amounts as you learn. I have less than .15 gallons Equipment dead space lose, so you can see it is very variable
I use the same calculator that Ed still uses I believe
TastyBrew.com | Recipe Calculation

I missed this one last post
How is your water. If your ph is off you could lose that much, so it's hard to tell if your lose is due to crush or water. Check with others that get their grain crushed there and compare results.

I bought a Cheap($12.99) Corona type mill and have been getting between 79-83%, so think before you spend $150+ for 1-2% IMHO

Back