Micro-Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st_brewer

Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm a lovable British student and I'm doing a degree in biotechnology and have taken a special interest in brewing (student loans just dont stretch that far)

So I have decided to set up a private micro-brewery in my backroom, has anybody else attempted to build a 4 barrel system in their home?

Saint

you sir have never met a geordie, 4 barrels is a good weekend lol i'll have photos in the coming weeks, i'm having to buy tools, resources but I'm hoping to come in at under £150 so something like $280

st_brewer said:
you sir have never met a geordie, 4 barrels is a good weekend lol i'll have photos in the coming weeks, i'm having to buy tools, resources but I'm hoping to come in at under £150 so something like $280

You are planning on building a 4 barrel system with $280?

evidently there is something lost in translation, over here a barrel is 50 litres and I have my primary already bought for £26, converted an old keg into a boiler so that was free. buying 2 more primaries to converted to mashing tuns, this will be done by slotting them into larger drums and insulating with polystyrene to cut down energy costs.

st_brewer said:
evidently there is something lost in translation, over here a barrel is 50 litres and I have my primary already bought for £26, converted an old keg into a boiler so that was free. buying 2 more primaries to converted to mashing tuns, this will be done by slotting them into larger drums and insulating with polystyrene to cut down energy costs.

Wikipedia:
In the U.K. a beer barrel is 36 imperial gallons (43 US gal; 164 L). In the U.S. most fluid barrels (apart from oil) are 31.5 US gallons (26 imp gal; 119 L) (half a hogshead), but a beer barrel is 31 US gallons (26 imp gal; 117 L).

Actually in England 1 barrel is about 164 liters. In the US 1 barrel is about 117 liters.
http://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/uk-barrels-to-liters.htm

I believe you are looking to build a 4 keg system.

yeh it is a 4 keg system and I have 2 kegs and both are 50 litres, I have never seen a 164 litres, to be honest I would be terrified if I saw a 164 litre keg, its only 80 litres shy of my primary

your allowed to produce a fair few gallons before you have to apply for a license, however our microbreweries are tiny compared to you guys because your full sized breweries make ours look like tiny start ups

because I have an old styled keg from my neighbour without the blue keg tracker and the other that I have I got from the place I do my placement from, it used to belong to a franchise that went bust, I also have their gas cylinders...who says the recession is bad

So we are really talking about 12 gallon batches right? 50L kegs will be used for boil, mash, HLT? So 10 to 12 gallon batches? The fouth keg will be used for what?

Not so much generous, more just people who dont understand the value of the kit I ask for. The set up has changed, its a 240 litre barrel as the HLT, boil and mash are done in 2 50 litre kegs and fermentation is done in 2 30 litre barrels, I'm working on upgrades but its a slow process, couldnt get a hold of a decent pump so I rely on gravity, hence why I dont use a 240 litre barrel in each stage.

Curious, do you have a good water supply, a deep utility sink to wash your equipment and, what I have found most important (since I am such a slob when I brew), is a good floor drain?

• I do, I use the taps in my kitchen to fill my 240 litre HLT.
  • I actually use a bit of a cheat, I fill some guttering with cleaning solution and do most of my washing in that, also it doubles as a sterile store for equipment not in use. I was my vessels using a pressure washer.
  • In terms of good drainage, I let the water go on my kitchen floor and use a solid water brush to brush the water into my drive, then just let the room dry out, means I have the cleanest floor in the county.

Back