Recipe help please! Second attempt at creating my own.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukadog

Reaction score
Hi All! I'm still learning about all the different malts and variations. I'm consistently brewing good beers with great efficiency. I'm just trying to venture into the realm of making my own, instead of using others recipes. Thanks to all who have provided recipes, they are fantastic! Any ideas, changes, comments would be greatly appreciated!

Ingredients:
8 lb 2 row
1 lbs 8.0 oz Crystal 60L
1 lbs 8.0 oz Victory malt
1 lbs Munich malt
0.75 oz Columbus 60 min
1.00 oz Cascade 5 min
WLP090 Super San Diego Yeast

Mash @154 for 60 min, boil for 60 min.
Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.062
SG Est Final Gravity: 1.012
SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.5 %
Bitterness: 42.5 IBUs
Est Color: 14.6 SRM
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %

Thanks! :mug:

What style are you trying to produce? Looks like an American Pale Ale, or IPA.

Sorry I meant to include that. I'm going for more of an APA. I have alot of IPA's and hoppy beers on tap, so I'm trying to go for a more balanced not too hoppy pale ale. BeerSmith shows the IBUS being just a tad bit on the high side. I might try back down some of the late additions?

American Pale Ale style bitterness ranges from 30-45 IBUs, so you're within style there just at the upper end, but your color is a bit dark. I would back down some of the Crystal 60L and/or some of the Victory Malt for either some more 2-row or a little Pils Malt.

Back