Good extract schwarzbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOnBoard

Reaction score
I'm looking for my first brew at home, and heck, why do something simple? I was thinking that since it's cold on the boat, perhaps a lager would fit. Schwarzbier happens to be one of my favorite varieties.

Does anyone know of a good schwarzbier recipe that is either extract with or without steeping grains? I found a couple in the database but they were all, AG. Baron brewery's "Schwartz" is what I'm shooting for but I wouldn't be disappointed with a Kostritzer clone, but I would prefer more body.

Gimme the list and it'll be my first brew on the sailboat.:tank:

BrewOnBoard

Though I did the all-grain version, I can report that Austin Homebrew's Schwarzbier is VERY similar to Köstritzer. No reason the extract version wouldn't be just as awesome.

I have three tasty recipes for you;
Good luck:

German Scwarzbier (Black Lager)

2 lbs. Old Bavarian Munich Blend LME
4 lbs. Light LME
1½ lbs. German Pilsner Malt
3 oz. German Carafa Malt
12 oz. German Dark Crystal Malt
¾ oz. German Perle or Northern Brewer hops (bittering)
½ oz. German Hallertauer hops (flavoring)
½ oz. German Hallertauer hops (finishing)
½ tsp. Calcium Chloride water salts
1 pkg. Nottingham ale yeast or
1 pkg. Wyeast #1338 or
1 pkg. Wyeast #1007 or
1 vial White Labs German Ale for cold fermentation or
1 pkg. Saflager 23 or
1 pkg. Wyeast #2206 or
1 pkg. Wyeast #2308 or
1 pkg. Wyeast #2124 or
1 vial White Labs German Lager or
1 vial White Labs Pilsner
1 pkg. Bru-Vigor (yeast food)
¾ cup Corn Sugar (priming)

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.012

A very dark, almost black lager with a modest bite & dry finish

Schwarzbier

6 lbs. LME
1 lb. Caramunich (40°L)
1 lb. Carapils or Dextrin-Type Malt
4 oz. Roasted barley
1¾ oz. Hallertau hops 3.5% alpha-acid (5¼ AAU)
1 oz. Hallertau hops 3.5% alpha-acid (3½AAU)
2 pt. Starter of Bavarian Lager Yeast (1 pkg. Wyeast 2206 or White Labs WLP-830)
⅔ cup Corn sugar for priming

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.008
SRM: 30
IBU: 26

Start with 5 gallons of water in boil kettle. Steep crushed grains at 150°F for 30 minutes. Remove bag and rinse with enough 168°F water to make 5½ gallons. Add extract. Total boil time is 60 minutes. At beginning of boil add Hallertau hops and continue for 45 minutes. Add second Hallertau and boil for remaining 15 minutes. Whirlpool and cool to 45°F to pitch starter. Ferment and condition as above.

And a little something more with a twist:

Black Forest Lager

4 oz. Black Malt
4 oz. Dark Crystal Malt 90°L
4 lbs. Amber DME
1 oz. Hallertauer hops 4 AAU (4% alpha acid)
⅔ oz. Saaz hops 2 AAU (3% alpha acid)
1 Pint Starter Munich Lager yeast (White Labs WLP838 or 1 pkg. Wyeast 2308)
½ cup Corn Sugar for priming
1 cup Dark Crème De Cocoa
1 cup Cherry Liqueur

OG: 1.038
FG: 1.010
IBU: 22

Steep black and crystal malts in 2½ gallons of cold water. Gradually raise heat to 150°F, hold 30 minutes. Remove grains and rinse them back into the pot with hot water. Stir in dry malt, bring to boil. Boil 15 minutes, add Hallertauer hops. Boil 45 minutes, add Saaz hops. Boil 15 minutes, remove from heat, and cool 15 minutes. Add to fermenter along with enough chilled, pre-boiled water to make 5¼ gallons. Cool to 65°F, pitch yeast. Seal and ferment for two weeks at 65°F, then rack to secondary and age in a cold dark place (45°F) for a month. Prime with corn sugar, add liqueurs and bottle. Bottle condition cold (40°F) and dark for two months or more.

Here's Jamil's recipe from Brewing Classic Styles

For 6 Gallons post boil

Pilsener LME 6.6 lbs
Munich LME 1.0 lbs
Carafa Special II 11.0 oz

Hallertau Pellets 4.0% 60 min 1.65 oz
Hallertau Pellets 4.0% 20 min 0.5 oz
Hallertau Pellets 4.0% 0 min 0.5 oz

WLP830 German Lager

Whatever you do, avoid roasted malts other than de-husked Carafa. Schwarzbier should have black color but little to no roasted-malt flavors. Even as little as 4 oz of roasted barley or black patent malt in 5 gallons will impart a noticeable - and objectionable - flavor.

Good luck!

Bob

:mug::mug::mug:

Sweeet THANKS HEAPS!!!:ban:

On to reading about lagering and babying yeast to see if I think I'm up for this on my first batch.

This is making me thirsty...

BoB

Lagering isn't hard as long as you have a fridge and temp controller.

Make a 2L yeast starter a week ahead of time with 6-8oz of DME. When it's fermented out, drop it in the fridge until brew day. Use yeast nutrient in the boil per the directions. Your yeast will thank you.

Cool the wort as much as possible before transferring to your fermenter. Aerate as well as you can, then put the fermenter in the fridge for 4-6 hours for the temp to stabilize before pitching your yeast (slowly pour off half of the liquid, swirl it up for 30 seconds, and then pitch the starter). Ferment for two weeks at 50*F, unplug the fridge for three days for a diacetyl rest, transfer to a secondary if you want, and then start dropping the temp from 65*F down to 34*F-38*F in steps of 4-5*F per day. Lager as long as you want. Then bottle or keg.

Doesn't sound too hard, does it?

I just made Jamil's recipe. It went in the bottle last week after 6-8 weeks lagering. The flat beer tasted great. +1 on the Carafa Special - you get that nice dark color but a very smooth flavor.

The recipe I used was a little different - I got it from his web page:
5 lbs Munich LME
3 lb Pilsner LME
0.5 lb Crystal 40L
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Roasted Barley
0.25 lb Carafa Special

Steep grains 20-30 minutes at 150º

1.9 oz. Hallertau at 60 min.
0.5 oz Hallertau at 0 min.
0.5 oz. Hallertau at 1 min.

1 tsp Irish Moss at 15 minutes