Hobbit Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil"

The Man in the Moon stayed up too late

There is an inn, a merry old inn
beneath an old grey hill,
And there they brew a beer so brown
That the Man in the Moon himself came down
One night to drink his fill.

In the Inn at Bree ("At the Sign of the Prancing Pony", The Fellowship of the Ring Chapter 9) Frodo jumps on a table and recites "a ridiculous song" invented by Bilbo. "Here it is in full," said Tolkien. "Only a few words of it are now, as a rule, remembered."

There is something so cool about this thread.

Thanks all, and thanks ollllllo.
If you are not careful, people's lips will be magnetized to your a$$ the way they are to orfy..I mean "BAH I HATE CHRISTMAS" lol. No seriously. thanks ollllo.

This seems like a really good opportunity to for some random adventurer to run a decoction mash with no thermometer. When starches actually convert in the madly stirred pan the color and scent of the goop in the pan change.

Pale white scentless oatmeal turns light brown and smells like oats. Bright orange pumkin of mild scent turns dark brown and looses curtains of sweet winter squash smell. I am going to go look for an oatmeal something from pre-war England. idea- The James Herriot books might be a worth a re-peruse, the oen brother of Siegfried's - Tristan - seem to live in pubs.

laters

Both JRR Tolkien and C.S. Lewis were members of a group known as the Inklings. According to Wiki - this was a literary discussion group, and amongst their first readings was The Lord of the Rings, and Lewis' Out of the Silent Planet (by the way, if any of ya'll haven't read Lewis' space trilogy, do so asap - it is fantastic!!!)

According to some sources, the group favored a pub in Oxford called the Bird and Baby. At the time, there were 2 breweries producing beer in Oxford. The one supplying the Bird and Baby was Morrells, and the primary brew for them was Varsity Ale - an amber colored bitter.

Theory... when Tolkien was writing about beer, it would not be too much of a stretch to think it likely that he had the local favorite in mind.

Please note - all the above is the result of a nerd, 1 computer, and 1/2 an hour of time killed... I make no claims to validity, but what the heck - it all sounds pretty good... :rockin:

Consequently I read somewhere that the english government had banned the use of heather and other ingredients long ago as an attempt to "destroy" the culture of Scotland. This went along with banning of kilts, bagpipes, etc. Likewise even earlier the pictish peoples were killed off.

Alright laddy, we are not goin to brew a "Braveheart" ale OK?

gallagherman said:
From "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil"
QUOTE]

For my third batch back in early June I brewed an ESB named "Tom Bombadil's English Pub Ale." I wanted to pay homage to him since he never made it into the movies. Being very new to brewing at the time I fermented far too warm and it turned out like rocket fuel. I'd like to give the recipe another go though.

TwoHeartedBrewer said:
I find this whole thread very interesting though.

Me too. Because of this thread I have decided to do another read of The Hobbit followed by the LOTR. I'll be keeping a close eye out for references to beer, ale, porter and any other beer styles. In the first chapter of The Hobbit, as has already been pointed out, some of the dwarves took ale, and others took porter. Since Bilbo supplied them, it would seem that both were brewed in Hobbiton so that porter is not exclusively a dwarvish style.

knights of Gambrinus said:
Or a mead. Meads and honey are reputed as increasing peoples longevity.

As yes, we know that meads are quite tasty now, but back in the day meads were often considered to be the "lesser" beverage, as honey was often a relatively cheap source of sugar, and treated as such. The upper classes preferred both beer and fine wine to it, although as you mentioned it was respected for medicinal value. Here's a good, short history of mead from my local brewer's Guild :D. The Norse are of course an exception to this, they absolutely loved the stuff, but I don't think they got a mention in LotR.

IowaStateFan said:
Me too. Because of this thread I have decided to do another read of The Hobbit followed by the LOTR. I'll be keeping a close eye out for references to beer, ale, porter and any other beer styles. In the first chapter of The Hobbit, as has already been pointed out, some of the dwarves took ale, and others took porter. Since Bilbo supplied them, it would seem that both were brewed in Hobbiton so that porter is not exclusively a dwarvish style.

Lol, hell of a good point! Bilbo was pretty wealthy, he could have had casks shipped, but it seems unlikely that they would come from any further than Bree.

I am re-reading them too!

Anyone who likes the Harry Potter books should read Tolkien. D&D, HP and damn near every fantasy made since owe a lot to tolkien.

Anybody seen an ad for "In the Name of the King"? It might as well be the two towers part 2. What a shamles hack job!

BeerAg said:
More comments:

What are you going to use as the secret ingrediant in Ent Wash that makes you grow taller? Human Growth Hormone?

No HGH thats for sure, I was planning on just using the honey, it is after all natures "Superfood " :mug:

Jens

Looks pretty good to me Jens-nice and light, refreshing, but with some character. Out of curiosity, what sort of OG are you expecting for that? Also, where do you get birch syrup? I think its a great touch, but I never knew that was something you could actually buy.

cheezydemon said:
Anyone who likes the Harry Potter books should read Tolkien. D&D, HP and damn near every fantasy made since owe a lot to tolkien.

:off:
As long as we are pimpin authors check out David Eddings as well.

I'm shooting for a 1.040-1.048-ish OG , You can order Birch syrup online from several places like http://www.alaskabirchsyrup.com/albipr.html , I get mine from a local Amish general store for about 1/2 of what that website charges.

I had originally put down 2 lbs of birch syrup, but tasted the stuff last night- wow! intense flavor. I'm going to reduce it to 8 oz, and add a touch of maple syrup to keep with the Tree theme. I've bumped the DME to 3 lbs to make up the difference.

Jens

GaryA said:
:off:
As long as we are pimpin authors check out David Eddings as well.

Hahaha, I thought I was the only guy who read his work. He is pretty good and worth a read. But for my money, Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series takes the cake, especially the first volume. Jordan has a beautiful writing style that makes it both entertaining, moving, and a fully visceral experience.

Back on topic:

I'm curious as to how birch tastes...Perhaps I'll buy one of those birch beer extracts and give it a taste :D.

Hmmmmm, not seriously, but I thought it was kinda funny.

Birch syrup in Treebeards ale = cannibalism

Lol, I like the recipe.

I have little more than passing interest in this thread, but I'm quite impressed with the imaginative approach here. What a fantastic idea for Tolkien fans.

I did a quick Google search and did come up with a link I haven't seen posted yet. It's an excerpt from an NPR bit about Tolkien entitled, Grabbing a Beer with Tolkien. To save you the disappointment, Mr. Keyser "can't remember what Mr. Tolkien ordered." Still, I found it an interesting segment.

Thanks for the update O'Flannagain. I'll probably be brewing mine next weekend after I finish my finals, assuming I keep enough of my mind intact to brew some beer afterwards :)

I have all of my ingredients except for my wizard robe and hat that I have ordered to wear while I brew.......lol, yeah right.

I should be brewing this weekend and not in a wizard costume...(since I always brew in the nude);)

cheezydemon said:
I have all of my ingredients except for my wizard robe and hat that I have ordered to wear while I brew.......lol, yeah right.

I should be brewing this weekend and not in a wizard costume...(since I always brew in the nude);)
that made me laugh, cheezy

I brewed a Radagast the Brown ale earlier this year that was delicious, I'll have to dig up the recipe.

Also, I've tried 5 of the gruit ales listed earlier in the thread from the Fraoch heather ale producers (they're sold in a 4 pack and occasionally by singles at my local beer store) and all of them were tasty, well made, interesting beers that don't miss the hops at all IMHO.

I've brewed with heather twice and both times it produced a satisfying beer. Given Tolkien's deft hand with detail and apparent love of history, as well as the herb lore woven in to his stories, I think he might have championed the gruit cause.

Okay, so due to some unpleasantness at school that resulted in no finals for a day, I found myself with an entire afternoon in which I could brew. I took advantage of the situation and got going on my Old Gaffer Brown Ale. I made a few changes to the recipe I posted earlier, so here it is.

3.3# Northwestern Gold LME
3.0# Munton's Plain Light DME
.25# Crystal Malt-40L
.25# Crystal Malt-120L
.25# Belgian Chocolate Malt
1.25 oz. East Kent Goldings-5.5%-60 minutes
1.0 oz finely chopped ginger root-15 minutes
3/4 tsp Irish Moss
Safalle 04 Dry Yeast

It's been in the primary since Monday evening and fermentation was going strong within the first 24 hours and slowed between last night and today. I'm really interested to see how this is going to turn out, and for those that are still following this I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for everyone who kept this thing going and for giving me feedback along the way!

Here's a little something I wrote up somewhere else about my recipe. I'll be brewing it tommorow!!

Over at another homebrew forum I frequent, some members and I have decided to make some brews based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. After extensive research, we have some pretty good ideas. The idea I will be making I call 1420 Old Gaffer Ale. In the books, there is mention of the barley crops in the year 1420 making the best malt the shire has had. They also mention how the Old Gaffer was a root farmer. So, I've decided to stick with a pretty simple recipe.

First, I will use Marris Otter as the base malt. Marris Otter is an English barley malt that is rich with flavor. Seeing how Tolkien based a lot of the hobbit culture around early 20th century England, I believe this malt would be just right. I don't think the hobbits had any advanced malting practices, so I will use just Marris Otter and some Wheat Malt (since Tolkien mentions the wheat crops of Middle Earth quite a bit) and no specialty malts. Instead, I will slightly toast some of the Marris Otter malt myself in an oven to provide a nice, nutty, toasty English brown type beer.

Secondly, I will be using Fuggles.. a noble English hop and ginger. Ginger is a root spice and I believe the Old Gaffer would have plenty in his gardens. Hops would probably only come in one or two strands in the Shire and Fuggles is arguably the most traditional of the English hops. Some might say East Kent Goldings though.

Lastly, I will use a British Ale yeast strain. I will take 24 ounces of the wort runnings and let them sit in a bowl for a week with a few crushed grains. This way the 24 ounces will sour. Since the sanitation techniques of hobbiton were probably minimal and they probably relied on spontaneous fermentation, I suspect they had wild yeasts adding a slight sour tang to their beers. Thus, they probably drank them quickly or mixed with new ale as they became too sour. I will take the 24 ounces and pasteurize it after it has been soured and mix it in with the original 5 gallons that has been fermenting for a week.

On a final note, I think the hobbits were quite merry and probably enjoyed a beer with a lightly high alcohol level. I will be shooting for an ABV of around 7-8%. Here is my current recipe:

Original Gravity: 1.077
Final Gravity: 1020
IBU: 26.7

6lb Marris Otter Malt
1.5lb Marris Otter Slightly Toasted
.5lb Marris Otter Toasted Dark
5.5lb Wheat Malt
2 ounce Fuggles 60 min boil
1 ounce Ginger Root 10 min boil
British Ale Yeast WLP005

... if this beer is good, I might try it again and add some strawberries :D :D

Interesting thread.

I've been reading The Hobbit to my daughter lately. She loves it!!

I haven't named my brewery yet, and re-reading this got me thinking about using the book and it's places as a theme. Bag End Brewery has nice ring to it, and there's all kinds of names/places you could use for different beers.

What kind of beer would hobbits drink? Well, I think you should select hops based on their name...

Fuggles, definitely. Hobbits would definitely consume something that had a name like "fuggles".

They would also definitely consume something called "Pride of Ringwood".

Then maybe add some Boadicea, if only because according to Northern Brewer, it is a "High-alpha dwarf variety".

Upon reading this thread for the first time yesterday, I immediately pulled out a book I have called "The Hobbit Companion". It's not related to "The Hobbit", but rather concerning all sorts of interesting linguistic trickery that Tolkien used to name, well, everything.

Nothing of particular value to this project, unfortunately, but here's an interesting coincidence:

It is not surprising, then, that one of the most famous figures in Hobbit history was a horticulturist. A thousand years after the founding of the shire the most famous of Hobbit farmers, Tobold Hornblower of Longbottom, succeeded in perfecting the cultivation and curing of that ancient plant known as sweet galenas.

The galena is a smoking herb...

Galena hops weren't introduced until the 1970's, however, and are an American hop. Interesting, though.

Since Hobbits are cloned from Anglo-Saxons, we get this:

Three tribes of Anglo-Saxons, three tribes of Hobbits. (Angles, Saxons, & Jutes--Fallohides, Stoors, & Harfoots). The Hobbits of the Shire descended from the Harfoots. They are comparable to the Saxons.

Find the beer that the Saxons made, and you should have your Hobbit beer.

I myself may participate in this, as well. I'll be bottling a porter tomorrow that I think has good potential as a base for something Tolkien-ish, so we'll see what happens.

I think mine is coming along pretty well. It's been sitting in the secondary a little longer than I intended due to the holidays and my getting terribly sick, but I'm better and I have some free time coming up to get it into bottles. I'm adding the oak chips tonight, and hoping to bottle on Sunday.:)

Alas! I had a set-back. I was sick, our newborn was sick and had to go into the hospital for four days, the holidays, I had to switch jobs(health insurance, 401K, paid days off, OH MY!)...I told Oflannigan, but I guess I should have told all of you. I must bow out of this one. Sorry.

Good luck to all.

IowaStateFan said:

But Hobbiton was on the old Road toward the ancient Dwarf settlements in Ered Luin. Indeed, Thorin had made his dwelling there after wandering in the wilderness for years after Smaug drove the Dwarves out of the Mountain. Unfinished Tales notes that trade existed between Hobbits and Dwarves, so it is entirely plausible that Bilbo's supplies of beer and porter were brewed by Dwarves in the Blue Mountains.

Pip's song, quoted above, is a Jackson invention and therefore (IMNSHO) inadmissible as evidence. Though I enjoyed the films, they are far from canonical. :D

Jens - I love it! Sounds heavenly!

O'Flannigan - your 1420 sounds "proper"!

I wish I found this thread earlier; I could have wallowed in Geekdom for weeks! Let me establish my nerd cred.

Several posters have noted that the Hobbit culture is loosely based on Interbellum Britain. While on the face of it this makes sense, it is not exactly accurate.

The comparison to Interbellum Britain is perhaps relevant to the very end of the LoTR, after Sandyman's smoke-belching mill was pulled down. Before then, the only possible comparison is with pre-Great War Britain.

The Great War - and it was during and just after the Great War that the foundations for Middle-Earth were laid - severely injured the class system in England (it wasn't totally killed until post-WWII, but it was on life support). So many men of the middle and lower classes were affected by the Great War, and trench life so class-crossing, that after the Armistice it was impossible for British society to return to the status quo. The proletariat had tasted the bitter equality of war, and no longer had the inclination to remain under heel. It took a long time for class distinction to die - these things are generally generational - but when one couples the pre-WWI generation dying off with another World War 1939-1945. When one combines that with the economic recession experienced by Britain until the 1960s - due to War damage to another generation of men as well as the loss of the Empire - the centuries-old class system extant in England evaporated.

I think JRRT's depiction of the Rape of the Shire in Volume III is a depiction of the destruction of Hobbit society, and that is directly traceable to the polishing stages the Trilogy was experiencing at that time - mid C20, post-WWII.

Anyway what does that have to do with beer? Hobbit culture is, IMO, not-so-loosely based on English pastoral culture pre-1900. Small villages are the social base, not a large city far away which no local has ever even visited (Minas Tirith?). Every English village has a pub or two, and I needn't go into the tied-house schemes extant at that time.

Furthermore, I find that the descriptions of the Southfarthing just scream "Kent". For me, that makes creating a Hobbit Ale simple - a fairly simple grain bill and lots of fresh hops.

In fact, I've a recipe for what I call Southfarthing Special Ale that I haven't brewed in a while. Now that I can get Maris Otter extract, that's what I use.

6.6 lbs John Bull Maris Otter extract syrup
1 lb dry wheat extract
1 lb McCann's steel-cut oats (steeped)

2 oz Fuggles, EKG or Bramling Cross - 60
1 oz same - 20
1 oz same - flameout

Ringwood ale - Wyeast

I like Ringwood because of its overt fruitiness and estery profile. I prefer Bramling Cross because it's not as refined as Fuggles, much less EKG. The malts I chose because of the bucolic nature of farmhouse brewing.

Anyway, thanks for rekindling my interest in JRRT! I'm gonna go pull out my copy of The Silmarillion.

Bob

Back