The ever lasting Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychogenius

Reaction score
So i popped open my Ale pail which had my nut brown in it, 9 days after brewing and to my surprise there's still a good 3/4 inch of krausen on top.

so at first i'm thinking it's a stuck fermentation since i only noticed the bubbler really going for about 3 days. i pushed the krausen out of the way and got a reading of 1.016 down from 1.050. that seems stuck to me. the batch honestly smelled a bit weird, strong alcohols with a side of funk. it tasted alright though.

now i did the possibly dumb thing and gently stirred the krausen back into the batch to try and get the yeast going again. was this ok to do? i also moved the batch from my basement (67 - 70) to my basement office (70 - 72) will this help it finish itself off?

I would have just left it alone. 9 days isn't overly long and it was still karusen'ing so likely still fermenting. One gravity reading and "no bubbles" doesn't a stuck fermentation make.

I don't know what yeast you're using, but 1.016 is not out of the ballpark for a yeast that will give you 70-75% attenuation. You forgot rule #1 :) RDWHAHB

:ban:

I have an all Summit IPA thats been in primary for 6 days and the krausen doesn't look like its going to drop anytime soon. I had another beer that I brewed in which the krausen never dropped after 10 days in primary.

Back