Primary fermenter smells

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mjg1279

Reaction score
I brewed a batch and cleaned the fermenter (plastic bucket) with soap then sprayed inside with bleach solution and let it sit for a while. It smells like sour beer. Is it ever completely free of odor after using it?

Sounds like it's time for a new fermenter. Unfortunately, thus is the down side of plastic buckets. They stain and will retain odors over time due to the nature of plastic degraded with extended use. If you're going to replace it, you might as well upgrade to a glass carboy. Plus, watching fermentation is titillating.

My plastic fermenters smell like beer. No problems. I would have to brew a bad batch for me to throw one out.

My plastic bucket smells like spoiled beer too, they all do. It is normal. You will not notice any carryover between beers. If you want to switch to carboys that is fine, but do not think it is any kind of an "upgrade".

Well, I've used it to cool the wort on more than 8 occasions and I've never had a problem.

I've been trying to research what plastic those bottling buckets are made of exactly (probably varies anyhow), and what the temperature range is on them, but to no avail.

I do recommend that you look into it however (perhaps the bottom of your bucket will tell you), because many plastics can only handle 170F before they actually start to leech out plastics into your beer.

Although this may never cause you to have an immediately perceivable problem, it seems like a worthwhile health consideration in the long term... don't ya' think?

This is just something that I recently realized while researching some other topics. I do know that vinyl hose is only good to about 170F, so keep that in mind as well. I just switched all of my hot side tubing over to silicone (it can withstand temps up to 140F).

Here's the best I can find:

Assuming your bucket is made of FDA approved polyethylene, here is a website that makes tanks out of it, and has a Q&A section where this topic comes up:

"Linear polyethylene (HDLPE) storage tanks have a maximum storage temperature of 130 degrees F. Cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE) storage tanks have a maximum storage temperature of 140 degrees F."

http://www.snydernet.com/frequently_asked_questions.htm#temperature

If the health reasons aren't enough, then do it for the beer!

- just sayin'

when I was extract brewing i use to follow the directions given by Midwest and pour my boiling brew pot over a 5 lbs of ice in my ale pale (im sure someones going to tell me why this is stupid) I did this for like 45 brews with the same bucket and never had a problem my bucket didnt even stain. just my 2 cents worth.

The ice in that case might have helped with the temp issue. i've never tried, but I'd imagine it mitigates it at best.

Many times introductory instructions provide steps that advanced brewers might do differently simply because it can help make the process easy to explain/do, and the beer can still come out great tasting.

I personally like to improve my hobby wherever I can, so I avoid oxidation now, because I understand it's impact. That's why I'm on this great forum.

Can we please all agree that leeching plastics at high temps is not a healthy/wise choice, and that although you may not "notice" anything in your 1,000,000 batches that you are still putting yourself at longterm health risks? If you don't care about the long term health risks... then fine. And please don't respond with anything like "well, I drink beer and that's not healthy." Not a relevant point when we're talking about leeching plastic.

As for the pouring boiling wort (or wort over 90F for that matter) over ice, or into a bucket, the main concern there is oxidizing your wort.

Of course, you can still make great beer, I am not arguing that, but if there are simple steps you can take to avoid things like leeching plastic or oxidation, then it's certainly worth consideration.

hope this helps guys.

Back