OG,FG and points in between

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just took a gravity reading today before going from primary to secondary on an IPA I have going.

OG 1.049 ( target 1.046)
Today's reading 1.015
FG target 1.011

Now that the liquid gold is happily settled in the secondary, how much more of an SG drop can I expect? Recipe calls for secondary 14 days @ 72 degrees.

This is an all grain recipe

Why did you rack it before you were finished fermenting? You took it off the yeast best suited to do the job. Often when folks do rack prematurely they get stuck fermentations, or even off flavors. It's really a good idea to finish fermentation before you rack, if you choose to rack at all.

Luckily for you, you only have a few points to go....but in the future consider waiting til the beer's done before racking. I recommend folks take a reading on day 12 and day 14 and if they are the same, then rack away.

Seconding what Revvy said. Don't rack it until fermentation is complete, if at all.

You've got a chance of having it ferment to 1.011 as the introduction of oxygen from racking will spur a bit more yeast reproduction and they might drag it down those last few points, but don't be surprised if it sticks at 1.015.

I know, I know and I am none too pleased to have had to do so. I took readings for the last 3 days and they were all the same. I also leave for a month overseas for work tomorrow and thought the timing was going to work out for secondary. As mentioned I thought racking might introduce some oxygen to reinvigorate the yeast for a few points. Live and learn.

I know, I know and I am none too pleased to have had to do so. I took readings for the last 3 days and they were all the same. I also leave for a month overseas for work tomorrow and thought the timing was going to work out for secondary. As mentioned I thought racking might introduce some oxygen to reinvigorate the yeast for a few points. Live and learn.

If you took readings for three days, and they were unchanging, it's fine to rack!

You may drop a couple more points, but if it wasn't changing before that I wouldn't expect it. You don't want to introduce oxygen when you rack, so it's done "quietly" without splashing.

You're fine. Don't worry about it.

A FG is really just a guess at where the yeast will stop when it comes right down to it. It depends on recipe, yeast attenuation, yeast health, the amount of fermentables, temperature, etc. You're very close to the projected FG, and at 1.015, it may very well be done anyway.

Back