Need Your Feedback on New Stand Mods

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man. Having a HERMS put in the HLT so it can serve double duty for keeping the mash temp and cooling the wort. If all goes well with it I'll probably sell my Thermometer.
Here is the preliminary fabrication of the HERMS coil.

DSC01704-l.JPG

This will be mounted inside the Blichmann BoilerMaker with fittings mounted through the kettle wall and Stay-Brite #8 soldered in place. QDs will be placed on the kettle fittings to allow for easy setup changes. The Herms coil is 25' of 1/2" copper fabricated with flare fittings to eliminate any catch points within the unit.

Yambor44,
Thanks for all the updates and info re: your burner setup. I've been contemplating natural gas burners myself.

One thing: you say that your house NG pressure is 2"? Is that a regional thing? 2" sounds really low. I saw a post in another thread where they said 3.5" was standard, which still seems too low. I always thought that standard household pressure was usually somewhere between 6" and 11". I know my water heater calls for a minimum inlet pressure of 5" with a manifold pressure of 4".

Either way, your results would indicate that connecting one of these burners directly to a line supplying 7"-8" WC is not the best way to go, and that some sort of pressure regulation is necessary.

Thanks again!

Chris

Also finally nutted up and drilled the holes in the lids for the returns. As Lonnie does, I will be able to:
1) run the mash from the bottom of the MT out to the pump, to the HERMS, and back to the top of the MT.

2) when I am done with the mash and want to transfer my first runnings and or fly sparge, I just remove the lid from the MT with hose attached and place it onto the boil kettle.

3) When I get ready to chill my wort, I pump from the BK to the HLT/HERMS filled with ice water and back to the BK. At the same time I use the 2nd pump to pull ice water from the bottom of the HLT/HERMS vessel and back to the top to keep the ice water moving. WHO NEEDS A THERMINATOR?? (seriously, who needs one? Mine will be for sale soon)

P-J sent me some pictures of the completed HERMS in the HLT 10 gallon Blichmann. It is en-route and should be here tomorrow!!! I need to brew something fierce! I'm drinking beer that was made 1-2 months ago. I usually have a pipeline going and it doesn't hit the tap for at least 3 months from brew date.

Silver solder

Thanks! I made some other changes. Removed the brass and added some stainless camlocks.
IMG_19321.JPG

You can see the old on the left and the new on the right.
IMG_1935.JPG

The new fitting on the ball valve up front, the old in the background
IMG_19362.JPG

New on the right lid, old on the left. Much cleaner looking.
IMG_1934.JPG

The new fittings with the hoses.
IMG_1951.JPG

Back