Yet another Noob FG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew3D

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I went through the wiki and did a quick search on this but I still had some quesitons.

I am brewing a Dunkelweizen (I think maybe I might have the spelling of this down..if not I mispelled it on purpose..) The OG was right in the middle of the recommended OG for the recipe. After the first day my airlock got clogged and my top was about to burst so I pulled it off, covered it with some clean plastic wrap and cleaned and sanitized the airlock and replaced it.

After 8 days and no bubbles left I took the top off and took a FG reading. The FG in the recipe is 1.010 -1.014. I am at 1.030. It tasted a little bitter but I assumed its because I haven't added the priming sugar. I read in the recipe that if the reading is too high just wait a few days. Which I am doing.

My main question is that if there are no bubbles...is the yeast still doing its job? Do I have any concerns here or anything I should do to make sure I am still on track.

Thanks for the help.
Eric

yes mate, the yeast is still "cleaning up" and I would give it until two weeks then think about bottling, the little extra patience will be well worth it :D However if you are thirsty now then bottling shouldn't be a problem. BUT Since the gravity is hasn't changed too much it may be that a lot of sugars haven't turned into alcohol (and CO2) so I think that your might have a problem with "stalled fermentation", I havent had this before though so I dont know any tricks to fix this so I will leave it to the pros :)

Thanks Pommy,

I'll give it some extra time and see how it turns out. I appreciate the advice and any extra info is much appreciated.

x2 what pommy said. I've had an IPA in the fridge for 3+ days now that's been nothing but super-sweet/low ABV since I bottled after only 2 weeks fermenting (and stable FG by the way...). Learn from your mistakes, etc. etc...

Checked it again today and the FG was just above 1.020 so its still working. I am going to probably be good to bottle after Sunday if all goes well. Thanks for the help!

Back