Strawberry mead Question/Suggestion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpreston

Reaction score
I am planning on making two one gallon batches of mead; this will be my first attempt at making mead also. First batch will be with 3 pounds of orange blossom honey and some yeast nutrient and champagne yeast. The second gallon will be with 3 pounds orange blossom honey yeast nutrient and fresh strawberries. A big question I have is on the strawberries I was thinking of running them threw my juicer and just adding the juice to the batch, any thoughts? Should I add it to primary or secondary, and how long till you rack to secondary? I was just hoping for some advice on ferment temps and any other thoughts on the batches I am going to make.

Hrmm...I think this needs to be moved into the regular mead forum instead of the recipe database.

Either way - you can just crush the strawberries a bit and put them in. Some people advise primary, others advise secondary. Certainly different flavors come out pending where you put the fruit.

Plan to leave on the primary for about a month, then rack to secondary and rack again any time you get 1/4" of lees (yeast sediment fallout) on the bottom of your fermenter.

Let it sit until it becomes clear.

I ferment mine in mid-high 60s.

Back