Brewing software for Mac

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer Alchemy is very good.

I only have two issues with it:

1. the ability to write recipes in AAUs would be good (though the batch editor/brew day feature can work with multiple batches of the same hops, with different alpha-acid %s)

2. the SRM/color calculation is low, for some reason.

I also have Beer Tools Pro, which is good for its ingredients database and correct SRM calcs.

So, I guess I kinda use both to design recipes, but I brew with Bee Alchemy.

I'm a big fan of Homebrew Formulator The ingredient list isn't huge, but it runs well and does calculations nicely. I also have Beer Alchemy, but I'm not overly impressed with it, maybe I just haven't played with it enough.

Also check out Q Brew I've played around with it, but don't have enough experience with it to give it a full judgement.

I also have Beer Tools Pro, which is good for its ingredients database and correct SRM calcs.

I tried BTP. I did not like the fact that it consumed CPU cycles in the background. I have an iBook, so they are dearly missed.

BeerAlchemy is definitely limited and has some awkwardnesses, like the mash schedule editor and the effects of the sliders, but it's IMHO much easier to use than BTP.

Yes Beer Alchemy is a lot better when it come to usability that BTP. I do however like BTP for the recipe DB and the ingredients list. I know for me that once I sat down and used BTP for a while it got pretty easy. The hardest part is just getting at all setup, once you have that it is pretty straight forward. They both offer free trials, so you may as well just give them a shot.

beer tools is really good, but what the previous posts have said are correct in the fact that you have to do a bit of configuring and fooling around before everything fully clicks. Also i recommend calibrating all your equipment.

+1 on Beer Alchemy...I haven't had any problems with it, but I have only had a full version for only 2 weeks or so. I also have not been brewing much as it's a bit chilly.

I did the trial for both and chose beer alchemy due to its clean/easy interface and simplicty. The ingredient list is lacking and the inventory function is pretty much useless. And as noted above, the SRM's are always way low. I just purchased BTP and like the more advanced features offered. I suggest try both and go from there. or buy both, only 60 bucks for both.

Dont know about the others, but I have been running Qbrew (free) on my 4 year old G4 box. it is very stable for freeware, and the OG/FG estimates are very close...

I use BeerAlchemy, as for the recipe's I've got about 200 I found on brew-monkey.com I'm working to get imported. I've gotta figure out why some ingreds dont' seem to exist, I've emailed support to see if I can give him the list, or the recommended way to batch import...

Beer Alchemy is very good.

I only have two issues with it:

1. the ability to write recipes in AAUs would be good (though the batch editor/brew day feature can work with multiple batches of the same hops, with different alpha-acid %s)

2. the SRM/color calculation is low, for some reason.

Have you sent feedback? The creator of this software is very good about updating to correct errors. I have sent him a couple things that I have seen and additions that would be nice. I hope to see them in future editions...

Have you sent feedback? The creator of this software is very good about updating to correct errors. I have sent him a couple things that I have seen and additions that would be nice. I hope to see them in future editions...

I have, actually, several times.

Steve's responses are always polite and swift. His response to the AAU thing was that the the brew day feature will automatically calculate hops of the same type but different alpha-acid percentage (as long as you enter it in the inventory).

I've also asked about the mash editor and a few other things. he always explains another way to do the same thing in BA.

Back