My new girlfriend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wired247

Reaction score
In the middle of a hop field in Yakima WA. Serious
The original Rainier Beer girl. Hope my wife doesnt find out.

82020012.jpg

She may look beautiful but I'm sure someone somewhere is sick of putting up with her beer.

Ok a little bit of background on the girl. In 1903 she was purchased and sent from Germany to sit on top of the new Rainier brewery in the Georgetown district of Seattle. At the time it was the largest brewery on the west coast. America got stupid and gave women the right to vote the first thing they did was vote to ban alcohol in the United States. Prohibition was born and the new flagship brewery was shut down. They had a really good cold storage room though so it was easy for them to sell the building off. When the stupidity finally ended and prohibition was repealed there was no option of starting the "new" brewery back so the owners of the Rainier brand set up shop in the old 1884 brewery . That was the brewery with the Iconic neon "R" that sat next to the highway in Seattle for decades. The beer lady was removed from the "new" brewery and sat next to the "old" brewery for 80 years and when I worked there in the late 90's she was covered with underbrush. We used to go over there at nights and fondle her bronze goodness while sipping down a Micky's Big Mouth or St Ides or Animal Beer or maybe even the Green Death or one of the other fine beers produced by the Rainier Brewery on our lunch breaks. Who says work can't be fun? The original Rainier girl is still standing next to the old brewery which is now a Tully's coffee facility until they get moved out. I hear they are turning the building into condo's now. I'd have to see that . It was a maze inside with tanks built into the walls and piping everywhere. I hear theres talk of moving her to some park so she will be totally out of context. I'd hate to see that happen. We had so many special times together.

Actually prohibition came into effect before women got the right to vote. See the 18th and 19th amendments.

Actually prohibition came into effect before women got the right to vote. See the 18th and 19th amendments.

Its more fun to blame women for something stupid. FWIW The state of Washington where the Rainier Brewery is/was located granted women the right to vote in 1910 against the state liquor lobbies wishes. Like most states that adopted womens suffrage early on the statewide prohibition of alcohol was one of the first measures passed. Nationwide suffrage and prohibition came soon afterward. The Columbia Brewery ( Heidelberg Beer ) at the base of the hill I live on has been closed since 1916. Oregon let women vote in 1912. Prohibition hit in 1916. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Back