Favorite Ginger Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewerd

Reaction score
OK, tonight I will be force carbonating my second ginger beer I have ginger I just wanted to know what else I should have and if anyone has a good recipe.
I have ginger and a few oranges any thing else that tastes good? (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cumin?) Any help would be much appreciated.

:D

I like ginger (crushed up finely) and a whole lemon squeezed, and sugar and water. That's it!

The first few times, I simmered quite a bit of ginger (like almost a whole root, peeled and cut into pieces) and then added the sugar. That was really good, but I wanted more of a ginger bite this time so I just grated and crushed up some fresh peeled ginger. I just added that to the water and sugar mixture and shook well. I didn't want it in the final product, so I waited a couple of days and then strained it into a new container. Then I added the carbonator cap (but if you were using yeast, that would be the time to add the yeast). I used a 2 liter bottle, so it worked great for me.

Here's the basic procedure I followed: Homemade Ginger Ale

Lemon "zest"- basically some shavings from the lemon peel along with a little lemon juice. I have seen recipes with cream of tartar instead of lemon juice (this is a winemaker's method to increase acidity) I have even read a suggestion of both lemon juice and cream of tartar-- Although I think that's overdoing it.

I just made this again yesterday-

2 TBSP grated ginger (super fresh and fragrant smelling this time!)
Juice of one lemon
3/4 cup sugar
Water to fill 2 L soda bottle

I just sanitized the bottle and a carbonator cap, and added the ingredients. I shook it up well, and then put it in the fridge. After it was cold, I put it on the co2 at 40 psi.

It's really good today- maybe slightly undercarbed still.

If you're carbing with yeast, it will take a little longer to carb up.

I finished the last of the 2 liter bottle of ginger ale just now, and it still was great. It was much more ginger-y (is that a word?) after sitting in the fridge all this time. I poured it through a tea strainer to serve it. It's very good, and I will be making this again.

Back