used dryhops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnog

Reaction score
Would there be any reason I would consider:

-reusing dryhops to dryhop another batch
-using the dryhops as bittering hops in a different beer.

I guess I'm just wondering how dryhopping actually changes the hops. For instance, with tea you can reuse the teabag, you just need to steep it for longer and will probably end up with a slightly weaker tea.

I wouldn't do it. It seems it would be too hard to know how much of the oil is left is left for bittering.
As for dry-hopping..i would be afraid of possible infection from re-using them....and again, most of the aromatic oils are going to be gone anyways.

Hops are not (yet) expensive enough to even dream about going through the trouble and the risk. There will be very little flavor left, and you'd never be able to accurately gauge your IBU's.

That's what I figured. I was just about to take out 2 oz of used dryhops and I thought maybe there was something I could use them for. You're right, it doesn't seem worth the risk.

Thanks guys.

Dry hopping does not change the bittering for that batch, but I suspect much of the resin would fall out of the flowers. You would have no idea what was left when you tried to use them for bittering.

Might work for flavor adds, since the boiling wort extracts different oils.

Back