Other Styleguidlines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aceparadis

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking narrowing down a set of guidelines by taking as many guidelines I can find and getting the average. So far I have BJCP, GABF and the BA guidelines. Having only three doesn't really narrow it down as many of BA & GABF are the same. For instance, if I take all three and average out California Common I get this result.

OG: 1.046-1.055
FG: 1.010-1.016
IBU: 30-45
SRM: 9-15
ABV: 4.5-5.6

does anyone know where i can find more style guidelines?

I would just use the BJCP parameters. IMO/IME, it's a rather accurate listing. Using more could give you too much conflicting information, leading to additional confusion that's just not needed/wanted. Also, you can put your own spin on brews. IF you're looking to enter a brew into a competition, then you could just list which guide you followed for the style.

just self interest. However, I'm also looking to see if there is any mathematical connection between a normal beer and one that has been "Americanized" or "Imperialized".

And I just discovered the ANHC, who have the styleguides: http://www.aabc.org.au/

just self interest. However, I'm also looking to see if there is any mathematical connection between a normal beer and one that has been "Americanized" or "Imperialized".

And I just discovered the ANHC, who have the styleguides: http://www.aabc.org.au/

IMO, you can see what the connections are just from one guide. Personally, I think the Americanized versions of most styles are just too bitter (AIPA's for just one) or just not nearly as good as the original. As for 'Imperialized' brews, those are typically much bigger (more ABV for one thing) versions of brews. Such as an Imperial Porter... Having the right IBU:GU relationship is important there, far more than IBU numbers alone. IMO/IME, Americanized brews are too far into the IBU side of the ratio to be good in my glass. I know plenty of people like them, I just don't.

did you watch Pi a lot?

The only Pi I like is apple pie... :D Well, chocolate mouse pie is good too, when it's made right... Which means made by one of two family members, from scratch. :rockin:

Back