What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned 60 bottles for tomorrow`s bottling day-American Honey Wheat Ale-
SWMBO is very happy.

Cheers

Delabeled cleaned and sanitized 2 cases of Summit bottles. Filled, capped and stored said bottles with cali common that's been fermenting for 2 months. Washed secondary. Transferred 5 gals Hefe to secondary cleaned primary. Delabeled and cleaned 12 more Summit bottles. Cleaned bottling equipment.

Plan for today: Delabel and clean 24 more bottles. Bottle 5 gals of RyePA. Clean secondary. Clean bottling equipment. Delabel and clean another 12 Summit bottles. Make two starters for for split batch german/american hybrid wheat beer half 3068 half 1010.

Actually accomplished today zip, zero, nada. I do feel a second wind coming on though.

Last night I cleaned, serviced and sanitized my four new-to-me kegs. Then I transferred two kegs with possible leaks into two of my new kegs. Next, I serviced the two suspect kegs. Finally, I kegged 10 gallons of a chocolate milk stout...

Dreaming about brewing today... Again.

Grain is crushed and water figured. Need to mix up water additions and be ready to go as soon as I can get an afternoon.

Darn kids have dance right after school. I have a choice to make: Drop them off and run home to brew and hope the wife can pick them up after... Or, drop them off and hit the town for a beer before picking them up again (and saving gas $$)

Dreaming about brewing today... Again.

Grain is crushed and water figured. Need to mix up water additions and be ready to go as soon as I can get an afternoon.

Darn kids have dance right after school. I have a choice to make: Drop them off and run home to brew and hope the wife can pick them up after... Or, drop them off and hit the town for a beer before picking them up again (and saving gas $$)

Go with Option 2. You can always brew tonight after you get home, it’ll be easier to handle a nagging wife with a little buzz on. :mug:

Go with Option 2. You can always brew tonight after you get home, it’ll be easier to handle a nagging wife with a little buzz on. :mug:

No, I won't have time to brew after I get home. I'd have to rush right back after dropping them off.

But I could always go with option 1 and start drinking when I get home. Then I'd have time to brew AND get my buzz on!

Oh, and I should find out when my friend's daughter can come over to help. She's been asking about our next brewday. That might decide it.

Nagging wife...

Mine wasn't too happy I spent three hours messing with kegs when it was her doing. She volunteered my brews for a wedding that's in three weeks. I'm taking 30 gallons. Before she volunteered me, I had 4 kegs. I had to buy 4 more to make it happen. I just started carbing up the second 10 gallons. I've got ten gallons of Apfelwein left to keg. The bride and groom want it sparkling.

I told her with three weeks left, I'm cutting it real close...

I still need to order parts for a jockey box...

Last night was a busy beer day.

I went ahead and bottled an English Tavern Bitter and tucked it away in storage to bottle condition. Then I racked a stout that was hanging out in my primary fermenter to a carboy.

Bottles should condition a couple of weeks and then be gtg. :)

Channel66 said:
Just out of curiosity, what sort of jockey box are you going with?

Looking to build a four pass cold plate jockey box. My plan is to throw it in a SS Coleman cooler. Looks like Kegman will be my one-stop shop (unless some vendors see this PM me with some deals ;-) ).

Bought a single weld keggle, brass ball valve assembly, two 6gal better bottles, silicone tubing, ingredients for a 5gal hefe, ingredients for 10gal of cream ale, 3# of DME for starters, and some misc. equipment.

Needless to say, I'm ready for homebrew day on Saturday. This is going to be my last equipment expansion for a while (...maybe).

Making a starter for an American Amber that I am brewing on Saturday (Big Brew Day). Brewing with the local homebrew club at the LHBS. Gonna be a fun day!

Sat on my deck with the neighbors and had a few pints of my lovely swmbo's own nut brown ale! I must admit she's becoming quite the brewer as well!

Took some Mother Road Twin Arrows over to the people who were moving in next door...

Added some ice to my swamp cooler and pulled some weeds out of the hop garden

sKafifer said:
Took some Mother Road Twin Arrows over to the people who were moving in next door...

Where do you live? I'm buying a house by July so free beer? I'm sold lol

This day has been dedicated to tomorrow:
Visited my LHBS for last minute supplies.
Bought an oven probe thermometer.
Cleaned , gathered and transported my equipment to my buddy's place.
Assembled, cleaned and measured volume levels for my new keggle.
Made a hefe yeast starter.
Filled my 20# and 40# propane tanks.
Measured deadspace in my mash tun.
Drank a good few homebrews.
And more.

Can't wait for tomorrow :)

I finally sat keezer 2.0 on my old dolly. It kinda worked out. This freezer is smaller than my last. I needed to move the tank out of the keezer so I could fit all eight kegs. The dolly was large enough to slap some scrap MDF on for a CO2 tank stand..

Stoped taking pain pils after having teeth extracted on fri so I could have a Hop Slap my HopSlam take. That 5 of 5 in blind tasteing said they would rather drink mine. Very good to here. If not in to much pain have a wheat beer grain bill to make tomorrow.

Racked 5 out 6 gal of my Red White and Blue IPA onto 3# blueberry/3#raspberry puree mixed and bottled the other gal. Now im waiting for my Coffee Brown Ale to come to a boil.

Had my son and a friend over and brewed up an Arrogant Bastard clone. Added a pound of honey at flameout to spice things up a bit. :) It was my first AG brew with my new 3 tier setup. I moved from BIAB to this and what a blast it was. Had a great time and enjoyed a few brews too. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Had my son and a friend over and brewed up an Arrogant Bastard clone. Added a pound of honey at flameout to spice things up a bit. :) It was my first AG brew with my new 3 tier setup. I moved from BIAB to this and what a blast it was. Had a great time and enjoyed a few brews too. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thats gotta be awesome!!!! Im looking forward to teaching my daughter how to brew when she gets older... its more my kind of an arts and crafts project :)

Finished cleaning the aftermath from yesterday. I usually give my equipment a good clean right after brewing, but I was kinda in a rush last night, and had to take everything home.

Transferred two batches to secondary. Pipeline is full, so I gutta git drinkin!! so I can keg these two. Took 4 1/2 hours to rack two 5 gallon batches over. Its not the racking, its the prep and cleanup. I am very thorough and it takes forever. But I brew around 100 gallons a year (since I learned my lesson wayyy back in the late 80s early 90s when I got into this hobby) and I never get infections. Not one in a decade.

Can you imagine a brewer's service like the old diaper services where you put all your dirty equipment in a metal canister and it comes back all autoclaved and sealed, ready for use? I would have been done in 20 mins today.

I didn't do this for beer today but two days ago, Saturday. I racked BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde to a keg. Put it in the kegerator and noticed my 5lb bottle was kaput! Went to the local O2 place to refill the bottle and they were of course closed and won't open back up until Monday.

That's what I did.. pretty trivial. Here's what my buddy did. I called him up explained the situation and he volunteered his 20lb tank to allow me to bleed off the O2 until I could get my tank refilled. He had to remove kegs from his kegerator and disconnect the tank. I returned it shortly after I used it. If you ask me that's pretty dam nice of him. So this post is about what sncoulter did for beer, not really me.

Thanks Steve!!

Back