Analyze This.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgtg

Reaction score
I found this today while googling about molasses in beer....I don't know what to think!? Any comments?

"Here's my molasses beer recipe. It makes an extremely stout and strong dark beer. It's based on the old wheat bran and molasses recipe that can be found all over the net but that isn't really usable. The one on the net you see is a bad version of something in an old Victorian cookbook I read called "cottage beer". I have made the amounts work for stovetop setups. 3 lbs blackstrap molasses, about 750 mL, $3. 6 cups hard red wheat bran, 50 cents worth. 30 grams cascade or fuggle hops, and a little Perle for finishing if you like. Boil the wheat bran for about an hour, and strain out the water into a pot. This gives the beer a terrific head, and adds fuel for the yeast. Add molasses to the hot wheat water, let it melt in. Cook with the hops in about an hour. Pour into the fermenter, add water to about 10L let it cool, add yeast. You get a bunch of foam on the top, and need to let it work about 2 weeks (there is a LOT of sugar in molasses compared to malt extract). 1 litre plastic pop bottles are best. You must have a cap with a liner. Usual bleaching instructions apply. Add a teaspoon of honey from a squeeze bottle. Cap tightly. Conditioning takes a long time. Early drinking gives a sweet and much too bubbly drink. Aging smooths the wheat and hop into the licorice of the molasses, and dries out the sugar. The bubbles get smaller and the alcohol level approaches that of wine (I don't measure it but this is one strong drink). In 3 months it will be amazing. Chill and pour into a clean glass. Be careful of the strength, and of opening warm or too soon, as it will just all fizz out of the bottle. Quality, not quantity - this is not something you can drink in pints."

I am not sure. Wheat bran isn't malted so how is it converted? Molasses beer has been around for years, but I can't say if this is enough. I just am not a great fan of these Google-brews. But don't let me stop you from checking it out. I imagine for the price of the molasses you could buy LME and make beer.

Back