Thinking of opening an online homebrew supply store, need help finding wholesalers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrookeiv

Crafted Magazine
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have built and managed an online store for the company I work for over the past 6 months, and would like to use these skills to open up a small online homebrew supply store. Eventually, my goal is to open a retail location once I determine that the business will most likely be successful, but for now I'd like to operate the business from my home online. My dream is to one day own my own business, and I think this is a great option.

Now, on to my dilemma:

Unfortunately, I can't find a wholesaler who caters to people like me. Both LD Carlson and Crosby & Baker require a retail location, which I think is pretty ridiculous. Do any of you know of a wholesaler who would sell to an online-only homebrew supply shop. Most of the places require a pretty large minimum order the first time, which isn't a problem.

Thanks for any input. Also, I am definitely not trying to encroach on any of our sponsors. My goal is to serve my region, which is severely lacking in homebrew suppliers. I just need to get the business running well online before I can justify a storefront.

You may want to ask Ed at BMW. He started his setup without a store front. He may tell you to f off since GA isn't too far from FL, but it can't hurt to ask? He is a nice guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't want to help you. He's on the forum so you could PM him right from here.

You may want to ask Ed at BMW. He started his setup without a store front. He may tell you to f off since GA isn't too far from FL, but it can't hurt to ask? He is a nice guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't want to help you. He's on the forum so you could PM him right from here.

My recollection is that he intended to start with a store front, used one of the normal distributors that require a storefront, a competitor(s) complained, distributor offered the online only arrangement.

My recollection is that he intended to start with a store front, used one of the normal distributors that require a storefront, a competitor(s) complained, distributor offered the online only arrangement.

Interesting. Even if I opened a storefront, there isn't another homebrew store within ~30 miles, hence the reason I think a store would be successful.

But is the demand there to make the storefront successful? Nearest hbs to me is 50 miles but i dont think enough people brew in my area to make it a good idea. With the negative thoughts done now, good luck on this endeavor.

But is the demand there to make the storefront successful? Nearest hbs to me is 50 miles but i dont think enough people brew in my area to make it a good idea. With the negative thoughts done now, good luck on this endeavor.

That is the question, which is why I'm trying to start online. My idea is to offer free local pickup, which would help me to get an idea of what type of customer base there would be here.

Do you have a local indoor flea market in your area? Get a both there and you have a store front. They are generally cheap (although limited on size), but it is just a temporary front for your future real store.

Do you have a local indoor flea market in your area? Get a both there and you have a store front. They are generally cheap (although limited on size), but it is just a temporary front for your future real store.

That's a very interesting idea. Don't know if they would consider that a storefront, but it's worth asking.

I imagine they want you to have a commercial property because they don't want large deliveries made to houses and homes.

You could check out LD Carlson http://www.ldcarlson.com/wholesale_inquiries.html, they should be able to get you a solid selection but they are out of Ohio but seems like they service Florida home brew shops. Another option would be Crosby & Baker http://crosby-baker.com/index.php/retailer_appl/, they are out of GA but don't have a great selection for a lot of american grains; primarily english and german.

Good luck getting your store going!

Those are the first two places I contacted. Unfortunately, neither will sell to someone without a retail location. For a 1,500 sq. ft. store around here, rent is ~$25,000 a year. That's a lot to take on while putting my wife through graduate school.

You are most likely going to have to jump in either with both feet. Why not just open a smaller store front something in the neighborhood of 500 ft. You can pack a ton of stuff in there for that amount of space. If you start online you are really only able to get people to your stuff that with 15 miles of your house. No one else is really going to want to come to your house and if they by chance drive 30 miles to your house and find out your a house not a storefront you are most likely going to lose them as a customer forever. You will be shocked at the amount of people that will not pay any attention to things you put on your website.

Size doesn't always matter!! If u ever went to BMW's old store it was Sooo small. You should try and email nikko at www.nikobrew.com I think he is still running out of his home.. If I remember correctly. He started with just hops too.

Back