oatmeal stout partial mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sconnie

Reaction score
Ok, so i'm an extract brewer, i've never done a mash at all, and i want to do an oatmeal stout. I've been told that you can get some oatmeal flavors just by steeping flaked oats with the specialty grains, but that to get any sugars out of it (and to really get the flavor) you need to at least do a mini mash. This is the grain bill i'm thinking of, let me know what you think:
5.00 Dark Malt Extract Syrup
2.00 Two-row
0.50 Flaked Oats
0.50 Crystal 40
0.50 Roasted Barley
0.25 Chocolate Malt
1 oz Fuggles hops for 60 min

I'm looking for a drier stout, something between 4 and 5 abv. I'm not sure how to do a "parital mash" on my abv calculator; if I set the grains to "mash" it gives me 5.2 avb, if i set them to "steep" it says 4.2. Does this recipe look good? Any suggestions?

I hadn't seen that BYO article, but that recipe looks good; the procedure was exactly what I was going to attempt to do. I've never done a partial mash, but I think I can handle that.
I'm planning on using White Labs Irish Ale yeast. Good plan?
So you think bump up the oats to 1 pound, and the two row down to 1.5 maybe?

sconnie said:
I hadn't seen that BYO article, but that recipe looks good; the procedure was exactly what I was going to attempt to do. I've never done a partial mash, but I think I can handle that.
I'm planning on using White Labs Irish Ale yeast. Good plan?
So you think bump up the oats to 1 pound, and the two row down to 1.5 maybe?

I just brewed an oatmeal stout last week with 1lb of oats and 1.5 or 2-row, looking good so far. From my calcs I should be hitting right around the 5% mark... recipe is in my sig.

OK, here's my modified recipe, let me know what you think:
4.5# Dark LME
1.5# 6 - row
1# Flaked Oats
.5# Crystal 40L
.5# Chocolate Malt
.5# Roasted Barley
1oz Fuggel hops for 60 min

Looks pretty good. I come up with

o.g.- 1.050
f.g.- 1.013
IBU- 25
SRM- 48
ABV - 4.8

Thats according to the Calc that I used. Looks pretty good. I prefer the sweet stouts myself but that looks like it will do what your looking for.
What yeast are you going to use?

brewt00l said:
Looks similar to the BYO recipe. I would prb back off some of the two row and bump up the oats if I were making it.

BYO's:
http://byo.com/feature/305.html

What yeast are you planning on using for your dry flavor?

Nice recipe. This would be my first time doing a partial mash? So keep it at 155 in the oven for an hour...

I still dont quite understand, is 1052 OG what you should get if you have boiled everything together and are getting ready to cool it?:drunk:

Calculate a partial the same way as all grain; a mash is a mash. A partial/mini-mash should have as much 2-row as specialty grains. Going to 6-row was the right move. I'd add 2 oz. of black patent, but it isn't required.

If you want dry, mash at 150F not 155F. 155F de-natures the beta enzyme.

Wow, I just tried a bottle of my Oatmeal Stout after just a week of bottling and damn it's good! One of my best, if not the best brew I've done so far. I think I'm all about the PMs from now on, at least until I go AG, but that'll be a while. Anyway, Just wanted to boast a little ;)

I made this just over a week ago. on advice from the guy at me LHBS i switched the Dark LME for Light LME, and stuck to the rest of my recipe. I had a taste when transferring it from the primary to the secondary two days ago, and although i know it's really young, it tasted pretty darn weak for a stout. I could taste the oatmeal creamyness, but the roasty flavors just weren't there. I'm thinking maybe my mash didn't go very well? Is it possible the flavor will even out more over time?
I also did another mini-mash of a regular dry stout that i threw in the primary after racking the oatmeal, so we'll see if that mash worked out better.

sconnie said:
Is it possible the flavor will even out more over time?
I also did another mini-mash of a regular dry stout that i threw in the primary after racking the oatmeal, so we'll see if that mash worked out better.

Did you're oatmeal stout ever start tasting better?:tank:

Back