Czech Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC16

Reaction score
I just made my czech lager single malt breiss pilsen malt. When I went to smack my liquid yeast I realized it was expired after a couple of hours it didnt swell up. I saved my package and I am going to take it back to see if I can get half off, I had to pitch how long should I wait and see if I will get any activity. I am keeping at room temp until I see some activity.

When I have not used a starter, it has taken 2-3 days before krausen started. The air lock raised after about 12 hours though. It was difficult to be patient through all of that. In the end the beer turned out fine.

I agree, give it 3 days. every lager that i've not made a starter for has taken several days to start, especially with the cesky budovice (budvar) yeast. which yeast did you pitch?

Things are well, I have bubbling in the airlock thanks for the replies!

At room temp it'll start way faster...as you've seen. You may want to plan for a Diacetyl rest since it started warm. Warm starts let the yeast make more of the 'off-flavors' and doing a D-rest will allow the yeast to clean it up better (there's a bunch of threads on D-rests). If possible, make a big starter next time, you need a LOT of yeast for lagers (about twice as much as ales).

Back