Greetings from Southern NJ!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dribble4all

Reaction score
Hey all!
Great site. I'm very new to homebrewing. I've started out with Mr. Beer (my first brew is 1 week in the keg). And after reading through some of the threads, I think I'm soon to be upgrading my kit. I think I've found my new obsession, and my new home for that obsession!!

we got two of us within ten mins of you. Im right across 73 and another just south of the old atco multiplex. Welcome!

Are there any good LHBS close by? I had planned on using BeerCrafters in Turnersville, but it looks like they closed down. So I ventured over to Home Sweet Homebrew in Philly. Good shop, but the bridge and parking is a PITA.

Someone called me yesterday and said that there's a homebrew store in Haddonfield, NJ. Does anyone know the name of this store and/or when it opened? I tried to Google it, but couldn't find anything.

There's Corrados in Clifton, U-Brew as associated with the Gaslight brewpub in one of the Oranges, Brewer's Apprentice in Freehold, and Princeton homebrew in Trenton (I know, geography challenged name there), and the one listed above.

Frankly, I'd skip every one of them unless you're desperate.

There's Corrados in Clifton, U-Brew as associated with the Gaslight brewpub in one of the Oranges, Brewer's Apprentice in Freehold, and Princeton homebrew in Trenton (I know, geography challenged name there), and the one listed above.

Frankly, I'd skip every one of them unless you're desperate.

:off: hey bobby

i've been looking for a bulk supplier and B.A. in freehold has 2 row for 43$ a sack which is the cheapest i've seen outside a bulk buy... any reason in particular you would rather not deal with them?

Correction to my previous post. If you have to deal with any of the NJ brew shops, Brewer's Apprentice is the best of all of them because they have reasonable prices on the things they stock.

They don't stock much. Sometimes you have to wait a half hour before you get any help because their first priority is the brew-on-prem customers and they are sometimes understaffed. They don't have a lot of "browse" area for what they do carry so you always need help to get what you need and the prices for stuff is never displayed. The pricing is discovered at checkout. They have a website with a bunch of items on it but it doesn't seem to be kept up to date and the prices you get at the store never match up.

It's probably just me. I started with ordering things online so I was spoiled with prices and overall selection before having to deal with local shops. Also, none of the shops are close enough to me to justify the drive. I encourage all potential customers of these shops to check them out for yourself and not to listen to me. I certainly don't mean to slander any business.

You don't want to just drive over hoping to pick up a sack of this or that. You should call on Monday morning and tell them what you want. They'll put it on their order and you can pick it up on Thursday or Friday. They apparently don't have room to stock a pallet worth of grain.

You don't want to just drive over hoping to pick up a sack of this or that. You should call on Monday morning and tell them what you want. They'll put it on their order and you can pick it up on Thursday or Friday. They apparently don't have room to stock a pallet worth of grain.

They seemed to have started to carry more bulk grain. I still have been getting mine there because it is cheaper than online (not including group buys, of course). I get all my other stuff online, because even if it was the same price, I don't want to take the 30 minute drive there, have the 30 minute+ wait and the 30 minute drive back, when I can just place an order with Hops Direct or Brewmaster's Warehouse (yes, those were endorsements for both of them) from the comfort of my home, office, anywhere.

I would definitely still call, though.

Also, isn't the date in your signature wrong?

Next WHALES Brew Club meeting, Tuesday 10/20/2009, at www.njbrewpubs.com

I'll be there, officially joining...

yeah their site says to call ahead, it might take a week or so for it to get there. their sacks are pretty cheap (aside from pils@72$) but i can still find crystal and specialty malts cheaper online, flat rate shipping as well. might be worth a call to see if they offer some cheaper bulks not listed online.

Are there any good LHBS close by? I had planned on using BeerCrafters in Turnersville, but it looks like they closed down. So I ventured over to Home Sweet Homebrew in Philly. Good shop, but the bridge and parking is a PITA.

Princeton Homebrew is a good shop friendly people and good advice.
The store @ Columbus mart isn't to great, lots of wine stuff. It's
OK if you need to pick up some odds and ends, and they do have the box extract kits.
You could also try Barry's in south philly it's easier to get to then Home Sweet Homebrew.
Brewers Apprentice is good but quite a haul from down here.

Back