light lemon soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenetti

Reaction score
Ingredients:
6 lemons (preferably organic), zested and juiced
1 1/2 to 2 cups sugar
1 gallon of water
1/8 to 1/4 tsp yeast

1. Zest the lemons (I peeled off the yellow part of the peel with a potato peeler so the pieces were large and easy to strain out). Bring to a simmer with the sugar and half the water in a large stockpot.

2. rehydrate the yeast in about 1/4 cup of the remaining water, at room temp.

3. After the lemon flavor is infused into the simmering mix (it will turn yellowish from the lemon oils), turn off the heat, add the lemon juice and the rest of the water to cool the mixture. When it is cool to about 100 decrees Fahrenheit, add your yeast and immediately bottle in sterilized bottles.

4. Keep in a dark place at somewhere around 70 to 75 degrees. Check after 2 days, then again after 3. Open over the sink in case the soda is extra-carbonated. I made mine less sweet, on purpose, with 1 1/2 cups sugar. A typical soda recipe would call for 2 cups.

I like to use bail top bottles for mine, supposedly they are stronger and better able to stand up to excessive carbonation. If you've never made soda before, I'd recommend looking up more instructions and details from experts (I'm not one).

My first attempt at this I included vanilla, but the flavor of vanilla was completely lost in the final product- I think fermented sodas are better with bold flavors rather than delicate nuances, at least in my experience so far.

How long will this keep for ? And does the yeast not turn the super in to alcohol at all ?

How long will this keep for ? And does the yeast not turn the super in to alcohol at all ?

You keep it in the fridge as soon as it's carbed up, to stop the yeast from eating more sugar. It keeps quite a long time in the fridge.

There is a minute amount of alcohol, something like 0.25% (less than cough syrup) due to the yeast eating the sugar to carb up the soda.

I've never made this recipe, but I have made quite a bit of root beer and ginger ale this way over the years.

Just wanted to say, I made this for a friend who doesn't drink (I know, right!!!) and it was a hit. I also highly enjoyed it and will be making it again.

Thanks for sharing chickenetti!

I made a batch of this with just enough sugar to carbonate only. It barely carbonated. Any thoughts on why? I aimed for 3 volumes CO2 and used Cotes de Blanc yeast.

Sent from my MB886 using Home Brew mobile app

Back