Just harvested some yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, I just racked from primary to secondary and I decided to harvest some yeast from the bottom. However, I realize that there is hop sediment sitting down there, and now in the jar with the yeast. Is this yeast still good, I have about 8 oz of sludge in the jar. Is this sludge unsuable because i took it from the primary instead of the secondary or is it still good? Can I pitch this stuff after making a starter out of it?

I guess basically what I'm wondering is: I just put some of the trub from the bottom of my primary into a sanitized jar and then stuck it in my fridge. Is this stuff full of the yeast I can reuse next time? How can I use this again?

Thanks

let it sit in the fridge for a few hours....the hoppy trub will settle out and the yeast will be in the cloudy top layer...pour this off into a sanitized bottle or something, cap it, and put it in the fridge...you can make a starter with this when you're ready to brew with it next time...

Lou said:
let it sit in the fridge for a few hours....the hoppy trub will settle out and the yeast will be in the cloudy top layer...pour this off into a sanitized bottle or something, cap it, and put it in the fridge...you can make a starter with this when you're ready to brew with it next time...
You might not even need a starter unless it sets for an extended time before use. I let mine sit for a week. All I did was warm it to room temperature for about 5 hours then pitched it into the wort. It started almost instantly!

SkewedAle said:
I guess basically what I'm wondering is: I just put some of the trub from the bottom of my primary into a sanitized jar and then stuck it in my fridge. Is this stuff full of the yeast I can reuse next time? How can I use this again?
Do a search in this forum for "yeast washing"...there have been several threads on here about it.

Actually, just look at the last post in this thread. BeeGee explains how to separate the yeast from the trub.

hmm....seeing how you only salvaged 8oz of the trub, i feel like you should definitely make a starter a day or 2 before you brew...

Back