We Must PROTECT THIS HOUSE! Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
not measured
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
GRAIN:
9.0# Pale malt (British)
3.0# Munich
1.0# Crystal 10L
0.5# Wheat Malt

HOPS:
0.60 Magnum 11.0% 60 min

0.40 Cascade 6.5% 15 min
0.40 Amarillo 8.9% 15 min

0.40 Cascade 6.5% 5 min
0.40 Amarillo 8.9% 5 min

0.40 Cascade 6.5% 0 min
0.40 Amarillo 8.9% 0 min

MASH:
Single infusion, 60 minutes ~154°

COMMENTS:
Recipe hit 77% efficiency. Slightly oversparged; cut back pale malt by about 1# for a 5.5 gallon recipe. Designed to be clean, simple, drinkable APA. Came out very well-balanced; nice house ale. Pics to follow.

I've always used Amarillo as a substitute for Cascade, how are they together? Sounds like a tasty brew.

OK, finally got around to stirring this one up.

Used Maris as the base grain, cut back 1# as you recommended. No Magnum was available, so I used Columbus. IBU's were higher but I cut back the Columbus addition to .4 oz to stay within style. Mashed at 154 as you did, which is a little high for me, I usually mash everything 150-152. Achieved horrible efficiency compared to recent batches; OG was 1.054.

Pitched a pretty old Pacman smack pack(six months past date), but fermentation was active ~8 hrs later. Hopefully I can wash it and save it.

I loved the color of the wort, a nice golden brown. All signs point this one being a winner. I'll post pics in a month or so(maybe sooner if I keg it). Do you have any pics of yours? It would be cool to compare.

EDIT 6/9 - Hydro sample taking while bottling was rad. Gonna be a good 'un.

Okay then! The final product:

IMG_0012.jpg

The first pint was great. I'm taking this to a 4th of July party and I'm sure it's not going to last long.

Latest posts

Back