Honey beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikemead

Reaction score
Ok so I've tried making a honey beer I started a small batch 1 lb of of honey and 2 lbs of light malt extract for 2 gallons all went well not too strong. But it's not ended up tasting good. So I was thinking of blending it with a plain beer any ideas anyone? I was thinking 2/1 plain to honey?

If you give it another go try using honey malt as steeping grain. Honey is completely fermentable and won't leavr much flavor.
That's alot of honey for the amount of extract you were using which is why your tastes off.

Plus one to above poster. You will only get honey flavour from honey if you add it to the fermentor, but watch your amounts.

+1 on the honey malt suggestion.

I am not so sure that adding honey later in the process is going to make a difference. The issue is that it's full of simple sugars that the yeast will consume until completely gone. Unless you actually pasteurize the beer or otherwise stop the fermentation, they yeast are going to completely consume the honey regardless of when it's added.

I suppose one could add the honey, pasteurize, and then force carbonate, but adding honey malt would seem to me to be the easier solution.

Thanks everyone for responding it does look like I used to much honey .
Any ideas as to watering it down with another beer does anyone have ideas on that ?

Well that was 2 gallons that did not want to be drunk so went down the drain

I've now done both a braggot and a mead ale but everything I've read surgests a 2 months wait so so with luck by the end of feb I will have a couple

Cheers just got a mash tun so more Likely to get another go later this year

How long did you wait to drink ?

i started at 2 weeks after bottling, but found at 3 and 4 weeks it was better. Which is the case every time I brew.

Well I have tried both my braggot and mead ale
First the mead ale was fine if not really a beer more of a wine
Second the Braggot Wow that was fantastic

I will be doing another Braggot soon

My favorite thing to add to beer is honey. You need to be a little bit careful though, like someone else said. For most beers, especially med to low gravity, you should use honey as 20% or lower of your total fermentables. If you get into the 1.060's or 1.070's I would say you could go up to 30%. In my experience anything above that give too dry of a taste and takes longer to age out. You have to play with it to see what you like, but that is my advice. Good Luck!

I have a honey porter going in the fermenter and it's filled the house with a great honey aroma. Hopefully some aroma is left in the beer.

Latest posts

Back