Gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I have been reading about people using gelatin to clear their beers. I think somebody said Knox unflavored gelatin. Is this the same as what you'd buy at the grocery store in the baking aisle?

If so, how much do you guys use, and when do you use it? in the boil? in the primary/secondary?

Thanks!

:drunk:

I don't use it but, yes you can find it in your grocery store in little packets. You can get it bulk for MUCH cheaper at restaurant supply stores. I picked some up at Smart & Final.

talleymonster said:
If so, how much do you guys use, and when do you use it? in the boil? in the primary/secondary?
This thread from yesterday has a lot of good detailed info on gelatin use. I gave it a try today with my APA, I'm hoping it will help remove some of the tannins from my ill-fated grain crushing/food processor experiment.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35563

Crazytwoknobs said:
Just make sure you tell people your beer is no longer vegan.

Especially when you serve it with Pulled Pork & Brisket! :D

I'm a member of PETA. Nothing vegan at my house, so I'm safe if I use gelatin.

bbq25.jpg

I've got a serious question: the only finings I've used have been shellfish---KC Superkleer. But I have some gelatin at home that I got from AHS, and I've yet to use it. My worry is that it will cause too much yeast flocculation and possibly hurt the bottle carbonation process. Is this a valid concern?

I have heard that over fining can strip out enough yest to be problematic but if you use as directed it is no problem.

brewt00l said:
FWIW, that is implicit considering vegan is be the more "extreme" version of vegetarian.

No. If your beer had cheese it would not be vegan but would still be ok for many vegetarians.

Don't forget that "Irish Moss" is also not "vegetarian Friendly." I have some friends who are vegetarians. I don't bother telling them that my beer has animal products in it.

dantodd said:
No. If your beer had cheese it would not be vegan but would still be ok for many vegetarians.

Don't forget that "Irish Moss" is also not "vegetarian Friendly." I have some friends who are vegetarians. I don't bother telling them that my beer has animal products in it.
Irish Moss is seaweed...how's that vegan unfriendly? :confused:

dantodd said:

:confused:

ovo-lacto doesn't have anything to do with this...

dantodd said:

If it has irish moss, it doesn't.

brewt00l said:

If it has irish moss, it doesn't.
Right. Seaweed is grown.

Do you mean gelatin (horse hooves), or issinglass (fish bladders)?

Or are you just saying that so they keep their non-meat eating hands off your brew?

Beer is also Kosher. A lot of people don't know that.

Gelatin is actually more commonly made from the collagen in pork skins and cattle hide not horse hooves.... my wife's dad use to make it growing up on the family farm.

brewt00l said:

vegans are ovo-lacto.

"The word vegan, usually pronounced [ˈviːgən],[9] was originally derived from "vegetarian" in 1944 when Elsie Shrigley and Donald Watson, frustrated that the term "vegetarianism" had come to include the eating of dairy products, founded the UK Vegan Society.[10]"

I was confusing irish moss and isinglass...

BlindLemonLars said:
This thread from yesterday has a lot of good detailed info on gelatin use. I gave it a try today with my APA, I'm hoping it will help remove some of the tannins from my ill-fated grain crushing/food processor experiment.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35563

Thanks. I read to the bottom and read what Biermuncher said. 2 teaspoons per 5 gallon batch. Sound good to you? You were going to try it out, yes? Be sure and let me know. I think I'll do it as well!

dantodd said:

vegans are ovo-lacto.

"The word vegan, usually pronounced [ˈviːgən],[9] was originally derived from "vegetarian" in 1944 when Elsie Shrigley and Donald Watson, frustrated that the term "vegetarianism" had come to include the eating of dairy products, founded the UK Vegan Society.[10]"

I was confusing irish moss and isinglass...

what is a VEGAN? A vegan (pronounced VEE-gun) is someone who, for various reasons, chooses to avoid using or consuming animal products. While vegetarians choose not to use flesh foods, vegans also avoid dairy and eggs, as well as fur, leather, wool, down, and cosmetics or chemical products tested on animals.

http://www.vegan.org/about_veganism/index.html

No ovo or lacto there!

Some vegans go as far as to not eat honey. I try very hard not to drink beer that uses animal products. Sometimes I fail.... It's not that big of a deal, vegans generally know or will ask.

As far as isinglass is concerned, I feel like you can taste it in heineken.

I used gelatin once, 1 tsp in five gallons, my beer never carbonated in bottles, even after 8 weeks. I will never use it again, untill I start to Keg. But it was the best flat beer I ever Had. Just won't do it again if I plan to bottle.

Back