should i bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I'm a few days shy of two weeks fermenting my first batch of beer. Its an American Rye Ale from NB and its target OG was 1.042 but I only got to 1.037. I took my first reading today to check the attenuation and it was 1.0052. My question is should i just bottle at this point or take another reading in a few days?

Wait a few days and check the gravity again to make sure it hasn't changed. If its still the same you can bottle or you can let the beer condition for another week or two. Haha I imagine since it's your first batch you want to bottle quick though!

I'm a few days shy of two weeks fermenting my first batch of beer. Its an American Rye Ale from NB and its target OG was 1.042 but I only got to 1.037. I took my first reading today to check the attenuation and it was 1.0052. My question is should i just bottle at this point or take another reading in a few days?

always take another reading in a few more days. it might drop a few points and you don't want bottle bombs.

sudsmcgee said:
These numbers don't make any sense. Can you please recheck them? If you're at 1.005 then the beer is done and you can certainly bottle.

How do those numbers not make sense? Just because you're in the FG range doesn't mean it's finished. The last thing you want for your first batch is overcarbed beer or bottle bombs.

How do those numbers not make sense? Just because you're in the FG range doesn't mean it's finished. The last thing you want for your first batch is overcarbed beer or bottle bombs.

They don't make sense to me because no one I know measures FG in three significant digits, thus I suggest there is a typographical error. Either way, 99% of beers are done at 1.005.

Ryush806 said:
Just because you're in the FG range doesn't mean it's finished. The last thing you want for your first batch is overcarbed beer or bottle bombs.

Good point i didn't think about that! Thanks!

sudsmcgee said:
They don't make sense to me because no one I know measures FG in three significant digits, thus I suggest there is a typographical error. Either way, 99% of beers are done at 1.005.

Sorry i used a beer calc app and when i corrected the temp of the hydro reading from 1.005 at 73° it corrected it to 1.0052 so thats why i posted it that way... im new didnt know if it mattered lol

sudsmcgee said:
If your beer is not done at 1.005, I promise it won't blow a bottle up. I suspect an error somewhere.

I put the hydro in the beer and spun it, repeated the process several times and thats the average number i got. Is there a common misstep that i may have missed?

If you're at 1.005 (and making beer and not cider or something else), your beer is done and you won't create bottle bombs. I can't think of a normal beer than finishes much below 1.005. In fact, I'm surprised that you got that low with extract and I suspect there is a measurement error. Either way, I think you're safe to bottle.

sudsmcgee said:
What is the temp of the beer you're measuring?

Beer temp 73f air temp 76f and... didnt know which one matters lol again kinda new

What does your hydrometer read (temp corrected) in distilled water? It's possible that your hydrometer reads low. But for the sake of checking to see if your beer is finished it doesn't matter because it will read the same every time you check if the beer is no longer fermenting.

Thanks. That beer is done in my opinion, and you're OK to bottle. The lowest FG I've ever measured in my 4 years of brewing is 1.005. Most of my beers finish closer to 1.010-1.014.

I hope you're reading the right scale on the hydrometer. Not to mention,reading it correctly. Water @ 66F is 1.000. The the longer lines with numbers go 10,20,30,40,etc. The short lines between the numbers go 2,4,6,8. So if the reading at the meniscus were two lines below thwe "10",it'd be 1.014. Be sure you're reading it right.

Back