2nd time is better then the first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As some of you may have been reading my other threads where I was asking stupid questions about my Irish Stout that has been driving me crazy (first brew).

Well it sat in the primary for 7 days and went from a OG of 50 down to 30, not far enough. I watched it two more days and nothing. So I panicked and I pitched a whole pack of Nottingham dry brewers yeast. Slowly stirred it in and let it sit another 2 days. It still had not dropped any more.
So I said too hell with it and racked it to a 6.5 gallon carboy. It has sat there for 8 days as of right now.
Two days ago I decided that I needed more room in my fermenting room so I picked up some nice 2500# shelving sets and put them together and in the room. I then moved my two carboys (one being the stout and the other a wheat) onto the shelf and covered them up with a sleeping bag. I had noticed that there was a ring of bubbles on the stout about 2 inches wide going all the way around the carboy. I go down there today (two days later) to check on them and HOLY CRAP... I pull the sleeping bag back that the airlock on the stout is bubbling once every 3 seconds and that little ring of bubbles is no longer a ring. The whole top of the beer is covered with a light brown kind of tan colored bubbles that is about 1/4 of an inch thick.
My first thought is "****, it's infected". But I smelled the co2 coming out of the air lock and it smells damn good.

I guess this beer has finally started to do something. Only like 16 days, it's about damn time.
Looks like you all were right, just relax don't worry, and have a home brew. :mug:

FSR402 said:
nope, that room is 65* all day and all night.
The room temp may not have changed but the beer temp may have. In my cellar fermentating room (AKA the storage room) the floor is usually 61-62F while something sitting on a shelf is 64-65F. Thats enough of a change to make a difference. If your fermentor was sitting on the floor it may have been considerably colder than the room temp, now that it is on a shelf it warmed up some.

Craig

CBBaron said:
The room temp may not have changed but the beer temp may have. In my cellar fermentating room (AKA the storage room) the floor is usually 61-62F while something sitting on a shelf is 64-65F. Thats enough of a change to make a difference. If your fermentor was sitting on the floor it may have been considerably colder than the room temp, now that it is on a shelf it warmed up some.

Craig
good point. It was sitting on a piece of carpet but now it's about 4 inches off the floor.

Back