Help! I think I have a contamination!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytor2012

Reaction score
I am brewing an extract Belgian Pale Ale with WL Belgian Strong Ale yeast. After a week in the secondary it is ripe with tiny bubbles in clusters. I was planning on leaving it for another week, but I'm second guessing that idea (if it is even salvagable). Any help or wisdom or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

photo.jpg

Looks normal to me, if it smell and tastes good your three weeks of bottle conditioning away from 5 gallons of deliciousness.

What you describe is totally normal, open the lid, give it a minute to let the CO2 dissipate and give it a smell, should smell like green beer!

Put the lid back on and leave it alone for 3-4 weeks!

RDWHAHB! Enjoy the weekend!

Is it just me or is there a big bubble accompanied by several smaller ones trapped under white film a little to the right of center?

If that's the case, I wouldn't call it "normal," you may have a little something going on but nothing major. In the future, leave less head space in your secondary. It helps minimize oxygen exposure and potential contamination.

As it turned out, it smelled and tasted fine, and the final gravity was good so I bottled it. We'll see in 2 weeks how it comes out. Thanks for the insight.

Latest posts

Back