BeerSmith Android Brew Buddy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Golddiggie said:
Probably because I just use gamil and don't have any toolbars installed in my browsers. I hate those frakkin things with a passion.

Where's the stand-alone app that they mention in the article for computers? I see one for Android, but not Windows (don't give a fig about mac)...

The link was at the bottom of the article: http://drive.google.com/start#utm_medium=blog&utm_source=ogb&utm_campaign=dl

As for the toolbar, I meant the bar at the top of your Gmail where it said mail, documents, calendar, etc

I was expecting an actual stand-alone app, like you get with DropBox. Being forced to access it only from a web page will make it virtually useless for me. I use the app for DropBox on my computers as well as phone and tablets (one Windows tablet, the other Android)...

And now back to the regularly scheduled topic....

Beersmith Blog updated today talking about the launch of the cloud next month:

What does it cost?

BeerSmith 2.1 will be a free upgrade for all BeerSmith 2 users. A basic cloud account will also be free. It has limited online storage (currently 10 recipes in your cloud folder), but gives you enough room to download several recipes at a time (which you can easily cut/paste to your main My Recipes folder), share the ones you are working on across machines or the community, and engage in commenting and bookmarking on the new site.

If you find the service meets your needs you can purchase additional space and resources starting at around $1/month (introductory price). I also have higher level accounts for professional brewers, groups and vendors. My goal was to keep the service very affordable but also cover the costs of operating and maintaining the site as it grows.

Beersmith Blog updated today talking about the launch of the cloud next month:

What does it cost?

BeerSmith 2.1 will be a free upgrade for all BeerSmith 2 users. A basic cloud account will also be free. It has limited online storage (currently 10 recipes in your cloud folder), but gives you enough room to download several recipes at a time (which you can easily cut/paste to your main My Recipes folder), share the ones you are working on across machines or the community, and engage in commenting and bookmarking on the new site.

If you find the service meets your needs you can purchase additional space and resources starting at around $1/month (introductory price). I also have higher level accounts for professional brewers, groups and vendors. My goal was to keep the service very affordable but also cover the costs of operating and maintaining the site as it grows.

I saw that blog post as well... I'll stick with my dropbox account for cloud recipes storage... sure I might add a few to the FREE beersmith cloud to share with others but why pay for storage if I can't more for free? now, what I really found interesting is his mention of an app for iPhone/Pod/Pad as well as Android. Hopefully that'll be a free addition to the license I already bought and would allows full beersmith access. I really like Brewaide and I understand the nightmare that would be involved in making the recipes editable.

If beersmith for Android (when and IF it ever arrives) isn't free, then Brewaide will be my brewing apps. If it's free, then I'll have to do a through side by side to determine which one works best for my needs at the time. Right now Brewaide is the winner out of all teh android apps I've tried.

My Google Drive got activated today but haven;t played around with it yet... Looks like Microsoft SkyDrive is feeling the heat and upped their size limit to 2GB and they're giving people 25GB of space... No Android App for it though unfortunately but I think there's some third party ones.

I saw that blog post as well... I'll stick with my dropbox account for cloud recipes storage... sure I might add a few to the FREE beersmith cloud to share with others but why pay for storage if I can't more for free? now, what I really found interesting is his mention of an app for iPhone/Pod/Pad as well as Android. Hopefully that'll be a free addition to the license I already bought and would allows full beersmith access. I really like Brewaide and I understand the nightmare that would be involved in making the recipes editable.

Yeah, he's been talking a while on the forums about making a mobile app since that seems to be the biggest request. I'm hoping a nice full featured and editable app comes out in the future with cloud service for Android but I don't really see myself paying money for cloud service. I'd just copy over the recipe files manually if I needed to each time instead.

What I'd really love is the ability to fetch not just from a cloud service like Dropbox or Google Drive but any webspace. I pay for my own hosting so I'd love for something I could just point to an open (or password protected) folder on my domain to sync from.

One feature that im looking into incorporating into BrewAide (and lets try and keep this thread on that topic and not BeerSmith or Google Drive) is the ability to recognize opening of files.

So what that means is that if you download a BSMX (or beerxml) file from the internet it would automatically come up with the option to open my app and view the recipe. It would be the default program and no matter where you saved the file it would open if you clicked on it.

Check your PM for my email if you still need a hand with the graphic work.

Also i noticed a bug today in the LHBS... when the screen times out with BA open and a recipe open; upon turning the phone back on all the ingedients are listed twice.

Thats on a samsung galaxy nexus with stock ICS

Thanks.

Is there any way that you can have it remember recipes, or somehow allow you to create a list, similar to what you can do with BeerSmith?? I think it would be of benefit to have the ability to have a list of recipes within the app (maybe require them to be stored locally on the device?) so you don't need to constantly point to the file each and every time.

Check your PM for my email if you still need a hand with the graphic work.

Also i noticed a bug today in the LHBS... when the screen times out with BA open and a recipe open; upon turning the phone back on all the ingedients are listed twice.

Thats on a samsung galaxy nexus with stock ICS

Thanks.

Which version of BrewAide are you using, if you havent updated to the newest version, then that bug is fixed. If you have updated then I guess it still happens, though Im pretty sure its fixed in the newest version

Ok so have a possible feature I might add but want to see if people would like it first:

Shopping List feature- this will include a list of all ingredients in the recipe (with check boxes next to it) you can check the items you have/pickup there will also be a button to add substitutions in that will allow you to manually enter other items you got at the store. This wouldnt change the recipe but would keep a list of items for you to reference later.

Is there any way that you can have it remember recipes, or somehow allow you to create a list, similar to what you can do with BeerSmith?? I think it would be of benefit to have the ability to have a list of recipes within the app (maybe require them to be stored locally on the device?) so you don't need to constantly point to the file each and every time.

There is a place to store the files locally, you need to hook your android device up to your computer and transfer them over manually. Not sure what you mean by this, there is already the option to save your last opened recipe, so when you restart all you have to do is hit recipe, is that what you want?

Or are you looking for something like a list of recent recipes?
Or one feature I was going to have was a save to local folder feature for the dropbox, so you can copy the recipe to the local folder, is that kinda like what you would want?

So pretty big update coming out in a little while (still have a good list of stuff to do though) but this should hold you all over for awhile:

New Features:
-No longer just BeerSmith compatible, BeerXML support now enabled
-Fixed BrewSteps display some (still working on sparge though :( )
-Fixed some minor bugs
-Put in ability to move files to/from dropbox/local folder
-Fixed unit display
-Added equipment name in BrewSteps

Future Features/Updates:
-BrewAide default action for BSMX files and BeerXML files- this will allow ability to download files from the internet (say your local webpage/storage) and it will open and copy them to local folder
-Shopping List
-Update Graphics for color glasses
-Selectable ingredients-will give popup with more info about ingredient
-Style info button-will give popup with info on style
-Some cosmetic changes
-New Tools-Carb tool, hydrometer tool

Edit: Going to start a new Thread since this is no longer accurate title for the thread (both BeerSmith and app name are no longer right) will post future updates there

Back