Apfelwine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhound180

Reaction score
I made a batch of Apfelwine about 2 months ago following edworts recipe. My wife decided that she would like it more if it were stronger (higher abv). It is still in primary as it has been for 2 months by the way. If I added 8 oz of corn sugar every couple of days would it continue to ferment?

As long as the brew's ABV isn't over the yeast's alcohol tolerance, I would say yes. What yeast did you use, and what was your starting and ending gravity?

To tell you the truth, I didn't take any gravities. I used red star Montrachet.

Montrachet will easily go to 13% or so. You could add a bit of sugar (dissolved in some of the cider or in a little water) and see if it goes. It should. Once it's going, you can add a little more. Remember that when you do this, you'll end up with wine, not cider, and lose quite a bit of any "apply" taste. I make apple wine, and it's very nice. But I often add a pinch of tannin and some acid blend and get a nice fruity white wine.

Back