sparge water temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelpeach76

Reaction score
This forum has been helpful helping me figure out mash water temps....that's not a problem. What I want to know is: Is sparge water temperature crucial? If it is what should it be.... or how do I figure out what it should be?

I usually use 170 F. The higher temp helps to dissolve remaining sugars, and rinse them from the grain. So the higher the temperature the higher solubility the carbohydrates have in your sparge water (good thing!) but if you get temps too high you will begin dissolving tannins which can taste kinda acidic and overall (bad thing!) So it isnt necessarily super crucial, certainly not as much as mash temps, but you don't wanna get too crazy with it.

are you batch sparging or fly sparging? i batch sparge (two sparges) and i usually have to use water around 190 degrees to get to a 'mashout' temp of about 168, which usually happens after the second sparge.

I'm just planning on fly sparging...mash with about 3.5 gallons and then just sparge until I get to 6.5 gallons.

Back