Over-Carbonated Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I wanted to enter my Rye-Wheat IPA in a competition, but I'm worried that the beer is over-carbonated. Even after chilling the beers in the fridge for a couple of days, they still overflow with foam when I open them. Then when they are poured, the head is very tall because of the over-carbonation. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Used the same techniques as before, used the same amount of sugar as before (5 oz. for a 5g batch), and sanitized like crazy. The beer tastes great, but is very foamy and there is a lot more carbonation than usual.

Is there anything I can do before the competition to make the beer less foamy and carbonated? Will they chill the beer before they judge it? Should I even enter the beer? How many points can I lose for the problems I'm having?

It's always good to enter and get your beer evaluated. Most of the times they will tell you how to fix it. You could try and pry open a bottle, then recap.

Back