DIY mashtun... DONE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Just thought i'd share my sucsess :)
it's a 5 gal cooler because i will be using it for just partial mashing. Kept it on the larger side so i could dabble in all grain once i perfect partial mashing more. small all grain, but dabbling never the less :).

took me forevah! well, 2 days to track down somewhere that had the coveted SS washer locally. Ended up going to ace hardware, they were only .58 cents a piece. a tad smaller then the fender washer by about 1/2" so i went with it. Tested it, leaked a bit. Tightened it up more, no leaks! so we have... SUCCESS!

180235_10150091014471105_703696104_6526037_7893984_n.jpg

it shows a few drips 'cuz i had it sitting in oxyclean for awhile and had just emptied it out. and by doing that, i found out i only have about a quart of equipment loss. even more success!

Thought i'd share! :)

Now i gotta figure out what recipe to try...

Thinking a clone of bridgeports cafe negro or lagunitas a little sumpin clone... votes?

Nicely done! Did you buy all SS parts and if so, did you get the SSvalve at Ace as well?

By the way, I vote for a Little Sumpin - had my first one a few weeks ago and it was great!

thanks for the replies! :)
I got most of the fittings at lowes, but alas, they did not have a washer above 1/2"... and my father had put my dremel in the back of his storage unit, so i didn't have anything to make it bigger :( sadness!
but the only thing i had to get at ace was the washers, but could have picked up everything there easily. I Got 4 washers just incase :)

Needless to say, i may, for the lack of partial mash recipes. And find it quite boring to have 2 cases of the same brew, i may just jump into 1/2 batches for cost cuts, and always have something new on tap (err, bottles, ya know :) )

and for the false bottom/manifold, i'm using the bazooka type tube (ss water delivery tube thingie cut on both ends)

I made several all grain beers in my old 5 gal cooler. BM's Centennial Blonde was one of them. I think as long as the grain was less than 8-9 pounds I was able to brew it :). Looks good, congrats on the build.

i used 5/8ths for those fittings, first time building something for a brew day, so i wanted to stick with instructions that are known to be working and not having to chance it not functional. (just incase :) )

And i will keep in mind the 8-9lb mark, thanks much! that helps me out a bit to see what i can plan ahead of time for AG brewin! :)

I thought 5 gal coolers tap out at about 15 lbs of grain? I've made up to a 12lb grainbill with no issues.

Back