Hops oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
Hey experts, been brewing for 6 batches so far......excellent. I bought two kits at LHBS and put the yeast in the fridge when I got home, but I forgot to put the hops in the freezer. I put them in the freezer when I woke up this morning but they had sat out for 12hours. DO i need new hops??? Also I have to wait a week before brewing, should I put the specialty grains (steeping) in an airtight container? Thanks all.

You're good. Gotta figure that most beer kits sit on the shelf for weeks or months, maybe, and I've never gotten bad hops.

They will last longer in the freezer, but as Evets says kits are not stored in freezers and the hops in the kits are fine.

I keep my hops in the freezer simply because I frequently buy by the pound and may not use the last of a bag for a year or more. Since I have the room, I just keep all ingredients in the freezer and refrigerate my yeast.

When we get in a shipment from one of our suppliers, the hops are never kept cool. It takes a few days for the stuff to get to us, and we've never had any problems. We sell kits, (Pre-assembled, by our suppliers) and they have the bagged-up hops in them, too.

The hops we sell in our own recipies, (or to customers just buying their own recipe stuff) are bagged up in 1 ounce vacuum-sealed bags, and kept in a refrigerator. Our bulk (not bagged-down yet) hops are kept in a freezer, even though they were shipped in at room temp.

Hops last better at cold temps, but a week or 7 won't hurt.

Just like dry yeast.

steve

Back