Bottle conditioning: cold or warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Challenger440

Reaction score
When bottle conditioning, is it better to let the bottles condition at room temperature or in the fridge? I can do either and my brew closet is always between 68-70 degrees.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition.

If they are in the fridge, then the yeast will go dormant, and will not be carbing your beer, they will be sleeping.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

My question was more along the lines of if I have a beer that has been bottled and completely carbed, will conditioning at room temperature after it is fully carbed be better (as far as taste) or will putting the bottles in the fridge be better (again for taste)?

I realize if I were to condition (again after fully carbed) at room temperature they will need to go in the fridge at some point before they are served to allow the CO2 to be fully absorbed in the beer.

After 3 weeks @ 70 is recommended (though most of us fail at this one-Me included) that you put your beer in the fridge for a full two weeks before drinking....this will help to make you beer crystal clear and tasty.....
This makes me believe that it will be best to condition in the fridge (once again, after they have reached full carbonation).

So again; if I have a batch of beer that has reached full carbonation, will it taste better in the long run to keep it at room temperature for an extended period of time? Or will it taste better if it is stored in a refrigerator for several months?

I believe if you put them in the fridge after they are fully carbonated they will stop "tasting better" and mainly just clear up more.

Could always run a test. Put half them in and leave half out and only put a few in of the others when you know your going to drink them up and try them side by side.

10 days in a warm place, then shake each bottle up, then 10 days in a cool place, not refrigeration. Perfect every time.

don't shake'em up. You want them to clear up while conditioning at/around 70F for that 3 weeks for average gravity beers. You want that tiny bit of yeasties to settle to the bottom. Then 5 days in the fridge to clear the chill haze you'll get as soon as it cools down. Also,to firm up that yeast settlin.
Five days is plenty to clear them up,again for average FG beers. My OS lager was very clear on the night of the 2nd day in fridge(last night,fat Tuesday). So by Friday they should be lookin great.
Also,as stated,it really is true that conditioning at 70F is the way to go to get rid of that "green beer" flavor. Not to mention,heal those wounds (off flavors,etc). My lager just proved to me that time really does heal all wounds. Just like these guys always say.

Yeah, I don't think I would ever shake my bottles...that could create a dangerous pressure build up...If you wanted to disturb what was inside for whatever reason, you can lay the bottle on its side and gently roll it back and forth some.

10 days in a warm place, then shake each bottle up, then 10 days in a cool place, not refrigeration. Perfect every time.

I am interested in this. It seems crazy, but I've thought about this before. If you're bottle is sealed, and you shake it, will it infuse the CO2 into the beer, or release it? It would muddy the beer, but then again you could always let it sit again.

Back