What to do with my brewpot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valicious

Reaction score
I just discovered the wonderful world of homebrewing a few weeks ago, and I'm already hooked lined and sinker :)

I have a few problems/questions though...

1. I bought a 20qt SS brewpot from my LHBS, and it's been meeting my needs so far. I think I'm going to need a spigot and ball valve on the front though, especially once I get a counterflow chiller (more on that later).
Is there a way to go about adding one to my pot, or do I need to buy a whole new one with it already installed? I've seen kits with all the parts you'll need, I just don't have the resources (or skill) to cut the hole myself.

2. I recently bought a converted Igloo mash-tun so I could start all-grain brewing (hasn't arrived yet). Are the Igloo mash-tuns fine, or did I mess up and should've gotten a SS one?
What is a Hot Liquor Tank used for anyway? Is it critical to have one?

3. What kind of chiller would you guys suggest for me? I've seen immersion, counterflow, and plate types, but I'm really not sure which is better. I'm on a bit of a budget, but I also don't want to skimp too much on something as important as a chiller. If I end up getting the counterflow of plate, I'll need the brewpot spigot right? I brew 5gal batches by the way.

I've become endlessly fascinated with homebrewing and I'm loving it, I just want to make sure I don't screw up.

"What to do with my brewpot?" ....Sell it and get a bigger one.

Val,

1. Sorry to say, but a 20 qt brew kettle is way to small for a five gallon batch. Look for a 40 qt at a minimum before you even think about a valve.

2. That looks like a nice MT, but at only 5 gal you will likely not have enough room for high gravity batches.

3. All the chillers you refer to will work great if sized and used properly. Just preference IMO.

Yeah that kettle is too small. Sell it and either buy a larger pot or convert a keg.

The 5 gallon cooler is small, but I have been using one for 5 years now. I make normal gravity beer 1040 to 1050 in 6 gallon batches, but if I ever needed to make a larger gravity, all I need to do is cut my volume to 3 gallons instead of 5 gallons.

I use a IC and find it a lot easier to keep clean than I see what brewers who have CFC have to do. KISS is a nice moto.

Hi. The reason folks are saying that your brew pot is too small is that with all grain brewing you need to be able to boil 6 1/2 to 7 gallons at a time in order to brew a 5 gallon batch. To avoid boilovers, you need some room in the pot, hence the suggestion above of a 10 gallon pot.

You may be able to use that brew pot as an HLT, or, Hot Liquor Tank. The HLT is what we use to heat our water to temperature before adding it to the Mash Tun for conversion.

Sometimes it is a good idea to take a deep breath and think really hard before making a purchase. This will give you an opportunity to focus on an aspect of this hobby that is only discussed around the edges. Planning.

Read a bit more and talk to other brewers and begin to figure out where you might want to go in this hobby. With planning you should get to the point where you are not buying equipment twice.

Good luck and welcome to this hobby.

Sometimes it is a good idea to take a deep breath and think really hard before making a purchase.

Good luck and welcome to this hobby.

Good advice above. Perhaps go ahead and do a 3 gal batch w/ the equipment you have while looking to the future. No spigot or chiller really needed for small batch brewing.

Even w/ a large kettle, it's not a huge deal to syphon the wort out for a batch or two, or even forever for that matter, some brewers are happy that way.

With experience the type of system YOU want and need will be much clearer and you just might make better decisions.

If you want to brew 5 gal AG ASAP, you will need a bigger kettle and a chiller, I would reccomend an IC for someone starting out, say 50' X 3/8 ". Oh, also a burner as you will likely not be able to boil 7 gal on your stove.

check out these links

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

http://www.suebob.com/brew/Bobby_M all grain primer.pdf

Thanks guys,

When I originally starter kit from my LHBS, I asked the guy if they had any big pots I could buy (didn't have one). He told me they had one left, and it would be all I'd ever need *sighs*
He also said, when asked about AG, that I just need to get a mash-tun and I'd be set....

So....any suggestions on a decently inexpensive brewpot for AG? Those Polarware ones looked good...
I do plan on sticking with 5gal batches for a long while still.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get a Boilermaker

Couple questions though...
1. Which add-ons should I get? The Boil Screen seems nice, but how necessary is it? If I already bought an Igloo mash-tun, is there any benefit to getting a false bottom or auto-sparge? Is it possible, with a false bottom, to use the BoilerMaker as a mash-tun AND brewpot in the same recipe? (fill both roles at once)

2. I'm still slightly confused on just what an autosparger does. Can anyone help shed light on this?

3. Anything else I need for AG? I can just use my old 5gal for an HLT right?

Among other things, one issue you will have using the Boilermaker as a Mash Tun is maintaining temperature during the mash. With no insulation, you will have to apply heat to the mash and that can be challenging without automated control of some kind.

You can certainly use your other pot as an HLT for 5ga batches.

During sparge, you will need something to drain your wort into. That could maybe be a foodgrade bucket. Then you'd have to clean out the mash tun, move the wort back and start the boil.

Just some things to think about...

Ed

If 5 gallon batches are going to be the norm then the 5 gallon cooler will work killer for a long time.
As far as the kettle, turn it into a HLT as already suggested, with a ballvalve, sight glass and thermometer.
If your in the market for a larger pot shoot me a PM I would love to help you out.
Here is a thread I started about kettles that I carry in my store.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/5-6-7-8-10-gallon-stainless-pots-sale-138414/

Cheers
Jay

The best advice I can give you is to take a step back. Yes that BoilerMaker pot is a quality piece of equipment, but if you are just getting into this hobby, I would get some experience before spending $300+ on a pot. You have the equipment to try a couple 3 gallon batches, which I would attempt before making a big purchases. Experience will tell you what you need/want to improve your experience.

Do you have a nice burner that will heat 7gal to a boil?

This hobby can be relatively cheap or as expensive as you want to make it, you start with a $300 pot, then you decide you want to add a $300 mash tun, then a $300 HLT, a $100 chiller, $150 grain mill, $500 conical, $500 RIMS setup, etc. and before you know it its 2nd mortgage time to support a HOBBY.

Do you have a nice burner that will heat 7gal to a boil?

This hobby can be relatively cheap or as expensive as you want to make it, you start with a $300 pot, then you decide you want to add a $300 mash tun, then a $300 HLT, a $100 chiller, $150 grain mill, $500 conical, $500 RIMS setup, etc. and before you know it its 2nd mortgage time to support a HOBBY.

I'm just using my stove as a burner.

I know their are cheaper ways for some of this stuff including building your own, but I'm a bit limited in what tasks I can physically do. While some things are considered a time-saver or luxury, sometimes those same things are necessary for others.
I am aware of the dangers of 'getting in too deep, but I'm fairly good at watching myself about things like that.

It doesn't look like I need the false bottom or autosparge since I won't be using this as an MLT, but what about the Boil Screen?

Using your stove could be the limiting factor on batch size lots of good info on this deathbrewer has one on his sig another option to consider would be a countertop brutus twenty look in the diy section. i use a 5 gallon igloo with no problems as well with a ss braid set up

Hey Val...if you are thinking of putting a Boilermaker on the stove, I hope you have a big a$$ commercial model. Most stoves won't boil more than 4-5 galllons...even then it takes a loooong time.

Hey Val...if you are thinking of putting a Boilermaker on the stove, I hope you have a big a$$ commercial model. Most stoves won't boil more than 4-5 galllons...even then it takes a loooong time.

I'm thinking about getting the 10-gallons BoilerMaker, but I'm still planning on sticking with 5-gallon batches. Maybe a propane burner lies somewhere in the future, but not for another year or so at least. One step at a time.

I'm thinking about getting the 10-gallons BoilerMaker, but I'm still planning on sticking with 5-gallon batches. Maybe a propane burner lies somewhere in the future, but not for another year or so at least. One step at a time.

But for a 5 gallon batch you still need to be able to boil around 7 gallons. Most regular stoves are not going to be able to do this without help (insulation and/or heatsticks). Get a cheapo 10 G aluminum pot from a restaurant supply store and a propane burner to set up on your deck and you will be good to make 5 G of 1.060 beer.

An autosiphon is a great tool. A quick pump to get your siphon going. By far the easiest way to start a siphon for transfer.

Craig's list is your friend. You can pick up a burner and couple of propane tanks cheap.

But for a 5 gallon batch you still need to be able to boil around 7 gallons. Most regular stoves are not going to be able to do this without help (insulation and/or heatsticks). Get a cheapo 10 G aluminum pot from a restaurant supply store and a propane burner to set up on your deck and you will be good to make 5 G of 1.060 beer.

An autosiphon is a great tool. A quick pump to get your siphon going. By far the easiest way to start a siphon for transfer.

Already got an auto-siphon :D

I found a propane tank on craigslist, but there isn't a burner in sight :(

+1 on the cheapie 10G aluminum pot. We have 8-9 gallon pots for cheap as tamale steamers around here (K-Mart), and if I just watch the hot break tightly, it works well.

I was able, on my propane stove, to get a slight boil with a lid partially over the pot for 5 gallon batches. Getting a 60,000 BTU propane burner made my water warm-up so much faster, and provides a really good boil. It probably cut 45 minutes off the brew day, and is just very nice to have.

I would definitely take a better burner over a better pot any day.

Already got an auto-siphon :D

I found a propane tank on craigslist, but there isn't a burner in sight :(

Your timing is perfect... Right after Thanksgiving, check Home Depot, Lowes, Target. They will reduce them to almost nothing. A couple things to watch (out) for... Make sure the thing is stable and will hold YOUR pot. I have seen some that has guards that would make using a different size pot very difficult. Also, some have a timer built in for safety... steer clear of these, it is a pain to have to keep re-lighting and loosing your boil.

Good luck
Ed

Pick up that propane tank if it is reasonably priced like $10.00 or less and if it has the proper fittings.

It is always nice to have an extra tank of propane around for when your current one dies in mid boil.

Pick up that propane tank if it is reasonably priced like $10.00 or less and if it has the proper fittings.

It is always nice to have an extra tank of propane around for when your current one dies in mid boil.

Is a 20# tank for $20 a good deal?

I'll try to run over to Home Depot maybe this weekend, really busy though what with finals coming up.

Found these..lots of great Cyber Monday deals today
Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker $40+free shipping
Bayou Classic SQ14 Single Burner $50+free shipping

Bayou Classc cooking is having a 25% off everything Cyber Monday sale, though the lack of free shipping kinda negates that. $50-$13+$18S&H=$55

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question guys,

Could I just have a thicker mash by only boiling 4g (1g for the initial grain rinse and vorluaf, 1.5g for each of the two sparges), then add that to 1g of water once I add it to the primary? This would let me keep my current brewpot for now (wanna upgrade eventually)

Which of those burners should I get?

Just purchased a 10gal kettle from Austin Homebrew for $65
Realized too late (ie given bad info) that I can't use an autosiphon with boiling wort. I'm fine for now, but I'm screwed once I build my counterflow chiller :(

Look at weldless bulkheads to install a valve or look for a welder that could weld a coupling in it for you whan the time comes.

Your not screwed. All you have to do is get a valve installed in your new kettle when you build your counterflow chiller.

Until then you will need a way to cool your wort. A Immersion Chiller works great. Once the wort is cool you can whirlpool it and then use your autosiphon to transfer it to the fermentor.

Or get a strainer and funnel and dump your cooled wort into the fermentor. This has the added effect of oxyenating the oxygen deficient wort.

Back