False bottom with Pump Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewluver

Reaction score
I'm am using the 10 gallon round HD cooler as a MLT. Right now i am using just a stainless steel braid and batch sparging. I will be getting a march pump for Christmas from SWMBO, which will hopefully make brew day easier on my back.:rockin: also i am looking into getting a false bottom like this http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/all-grain-equipment/false-bottoms/12-s-s-false-bottom.html

The barb on the false bottom is 3/8, I will have 1/2 inch on the outside for my tubes. Will this be OK for the pumps or does someone make a false bottom with 1/2 barb for the pickup tube.

just let me know what you think.

Looking at the picture it seems like the barb is bolted into the false bottom. I'd call northern brewer to make sure, but I would imagine you could just buy yourself a 1/2" barb on a 90-degree elbow with the same size threads and replace the one they have on it. That would be my suggestion.

Your other option is to just use a 3/8" hose from the barb to the inside of your pass-through on the MLT, then install a 1/2" hookup on the outside for your march pump. If you do that, however, you're going to need to make sure you install a ball valve on the outlet side of your pump and keep it throttled back a bit. You don't want to get a stuck sparge from pulling too much vacuum on your mash, or burn out the motor on your pump.

Replacing the barb with a 1/2" ID one is still your best bet, though. And I took another look at the picture. I'm almost sure you can do that, unless they've welded/soldered the fitting in place. But like I said. Call NB and ask them about it. That will tell you what you need to do.

I strongly suggest you look at moving up to a 1/2" barb. The 3/8" barbs tend to get clogged. Bargain Fittings currently has a 316 barb for sale.

thanks i did not even think to see if the 3/8 could be pulled out and switched with a 1/2 inch size.

I emailed NB and the guy told me that i would be able to replace the 3/8 barb with a 1/2" barb. Here is the email below

"The barbs used on those are like the following:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/elbow-1-2-mpt-x-3-8-barb.html

In theory you could switch it out however we only have a source for the elbows with the 3/8" barb, you would need to find something similar with a 1/2" barb."

I found these at McMaster-CARR p/- 91465K66 or 53525K58.

What is the difference of a Barb Hose fitting and a Push on hose fitting

I would choose the Barb Hose fitting and not the Push-On fitting. With the push on hose fitting you don't have to use a hose clamp but you run the chance that while stirring the hose could come loose from the fitting.

Also - what kind of hose are you going to use? I converted my false bottom to use a metal pipe instead of a hose for two reasons:

a) hoses get soft under heat and when a vacuum is applied while they are under pressure from the mash they can crush and cut of supply to the pump.

b) The metal pipe adds weight that holds the screen down.

Back