Refilling freon in freezr

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjbank

Reaction score
Anybody ever refilled a freezer with freon? I know nothing about so any info will help. Thanks

From everything I've read if you've ruptured one of the coolant lines it is more expensive to repair and refill the freon than it would be to buy a new freezer. I am by no means an expert or have any experience trying to refill freon. But that's what I've read in several different posts on here. Hopefully someone with more practical experience can give you a more helpful solution.
Good luck.

From everything I've read if you've ruptured one of the coolant lines it is more expensive to repair and refill the freon than it would be to buy a new freezer. I am by no means an expert or have any experience trying to refill freon. But that's what I've read in several different posts on here. Hopefully someone with more practical experience can give you a more helpful solution.
Good luck.

That's not fully true. It depends on the freezer. An appliance repair shop can easily fix it, and as along as the freezer is worth the price of R22 to fill it then your fine. That will be the major expense. I would guess a moderately sized freezer I'd expect to pay 80 to 100 after all said and done (with no major component damage). So if its a 400$ freezer its worth it.

Now if its just a dorm fridge no, it would not be worth it.

If you tell us what happened we might off some more help.

Maxkling said:
That's not fully true. It depends on the freezer. An appliance repair shop can easily fix it, and as along as the freezer is worth the price of R22 to fill it then your fine. That will be the major expense. I would guess a moderately sized freezer I'd expect to pay 80 to 100 after all said and done (with no major component damage). So if its a 400$ freezer its worth it.

Now if its just a dorm fridge no, it would not be worth it.

If you tell us what happened we might off some more help.

That's not fully true either, if the freezer is filled with R134 it is relatively cheap, it is however hard to do though, it is such a small amount that by the time it sucks it in its over filled.

A buddy of mine was building a keezer and hit a line and after repairing it I tried filling it and I could not get it to work again. I do agree that it is not worth it unless you can get it done cheap enough.

image-2549918234.jpg

My buddy can put the cooling coils back together no problem but I don't how to go about getting freon back in it. It's an old freezer. I broke the coils trying to bend it. Hoping to save it! Thanks!

Depending on the age, damage (how the charge was lost) if the unit is intact and sealed you will need to pull a vacuum prior to filling + most charges are only a few ounces. Really not something that is diy unless your trained, I would check around you could find a tech/company that your bar/restaurant use off the book would be the cheapest route. Did the fast food, bar, restaurant repair for a few years you will find a broad range from honest to some who should be locked away.

That's not fully true either, if the freezer is filled with R134 it is relatively cheap, it is however hard to do though, it is such a small amount that by the time it sucks it in its over filled.

A buddy of mine was building a keezer and hit a line and after repairing it I tried filling it and I could not get it to work again. I do agree that it is not worth it unless you can get it done cheap enough.

IMO most freezers I have seen are R22. To be honest I'm not sure this statement makes any sense "it is such a small amount that by the time it sucks it in its over filled. " You just didn't properly charge it. The freezer is a hermetically sealed unit.... There are usually no service ports on it, and you have to either use piercing ports or solder on service ports. I currently hold a universal license and have serviced many units from window units to chillers and haven't had an issue with adding the correct amount of refrigerant for the unit. If you add it in the correct state (liquid or gas) and monitor the pressures I'm not sure where the issue is.

He stated he has no experience, nor equipment, nor proper knowledge to do it. Which is why I told him any appliance repair shop can assist him and what to expect to pay if it is an R22 unit. Your correct, if its a 134a unit, it will be cheaper, but not much.

Latest posts

Back