Two types of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NineHundred

Reaction score
I am considering using White Labs English Cider yeast for the primary fermentation of my cider and Côte des Blancs for the secondary fermentation. What do you guys think? I will probably add a few cups of sugar to the secondary fermentation just to give the yeast a little more of a chance to add their flavors. Also, any ideas on how I should go about removing the alcohol without altering the taste too much to make a non-alcoholic cider? And should I boil fresh pressed cider before I put the yeast in to kill wild yeasts?

That's some first post...why not just drink cider and NOT make alcohol out of it??

First, you should decide how strong of an alcohol you want it to be.

Second, take an Original Gravity reading and check it every day and decide where you want to stop the fermentation using Potassium Sorbate to retard the yeast from further fermentation.

Because I definaely like the more bitter and sharpness of hard cider but not everyone in my family drinks and I still want them to be able to taste it. I will keep some hard and most likely distill some to remove the majority of the alchohol.

I can't really think of a way to take out the alcohol in hard cider. The bitter and sharp taste are due to tannins and acids in the juice itself, which are usually covered up with all the sugar nauturally present in the juice, the fermenation take out all the sugars...The concept of dry non-alcoholic cider is beyond me, unless you can think of a way to remove sugar from apple juice...

could you make the cider then heat at ~150F, kinda like they make non alcholic beer?

Or am i way off?

Yes, I was considering going about it exactly the same way. You lose a bit of cider, but you also get rid of the alchohol. Thanks!

Yes, I was considering going about it exactly the same way. You lose a bit of cider, but you also get rid of the alchohol. Thanks!

That will remove the alcohol (174 deg F) but it will change the flavor also. You may like it anyway.

Since Cider fully ferments in the primary whats the reason for the different yeast in the Secondary? Im sort of new but this seems like its much more involved than it needs to be.

Take a look at the recipe "Sour Diesel" under Cider and you will understand. Thanks for the input.

Back