We were dead before the Grist even sank...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHvanBommel

Reaction score
OK so today is my first AG batch, heavy belgian Wit 10lbs of Pale 2 row(couldn't justify keeping 3 lbs already crushed malt...) 3 lbs flaked wheat, 2 lbs flaked rice... I think it will come out... not sure... anyway, I'm in the process of ppulling some wort to reheat (150 - want to be at 154) and when i started "running off" into a pot, it started strong then whent to a trickle... then stopped... should i be worried?:drunk: or should i mix it around, i don't have an LHBS that i can run for rice hulls... i used the 10 gal igloo to MLT thread with the Rubber hose (notched) in steel braid as my "false bottom"... Any ideas, clues HELP!!!!

Try carefully blowing some air into the outlet (a hose long enough to get above the level of the mash is safest). If that doesn't work, stir, and try again. Repeat the "stir and blow" method until your sparge is complete or you deem it a complete loss.

Uh...huh..huh...huh...uhh...I said, "stir and blow"...

HAHAHAHA!!! maybe i should just relax, have a brew, let my inhibitions go a little and stir and blow until... well... the sparge is done! Thanks Yuri, I was just about to start watching your video series. This is such a great community... :tank:

you subject line caught my eye. I love that album.

anywho, I had a sparge that lasted an incredible 3 hours yesterday.
I don't think this has anything to do with your problem but I felt a need to contribute

jason

I'm glad someone got the reference! yeah no it lasted 45 minutes! thank god!!! i blew it three times... happy hose yields happy 7 gallons.... beautiful dark straw color... i think thats a good sign:D

In the past I have put a little liquid in the hose before I blow it back in. I find that forcing liquid back through get a better clean out than air. If i get stuck and use liquid to blow out I usually don't have to do it again. I try to get some of the wort using a turkey baster so that I am not adding more water.

I was perfectly happy blowing it... thanks for the advice though! I really appreciate all of the input that this group gives, i will post all notes plus pictures of the Van Bommel Brewing Escapades (ULD... Unlimited liability when drunk...)

Does this mean you have a rubber hose wrapped in a braid? What is the purpose if so?

I have the same setup...piece of tubing with notches cut in it, then stuck inside the stainless steel braid. It's supposed to prevent the braid from just collapsing under the weight of the grist.

Thanks two heads... yeah it ended up working out a great deal better then i thought... i've been neurotic about this whole thing to the point where i took nyquil last night (i have a cold) to sleep... yeah not so much on the sleep.... but it worked awesome... just needed to blow it back for piece of mind.

I have the same setup...piece of tubing with notches cut in it, then stuck inside the stainless steel braid. It's supposed to prevent the braid from just collapsing under the weight of the grist.
Pretty much what I thought but I think it could also contribute to slow runoff.

it def. contributed but based on homebrewing for dummies the total collection time should take about 45 minutes to an hour and i was in at about 55 minutes for 7 - 8 gallons.

I somehow managed to boil off an extra 2 gallons bringing my final volume to 3 gallons... is that bad?:confused:

I somehow managed to boil off an extra 2 gallons bringing my final volume to 3 gallons... is that bad?:confused:
Yeah that doesn't sound good. You need to check the gravity and then consider adding some water if it is real high. You will eventually learn how much wort to collect so that after boiling you are left with the amount you are aiming for. I start with 8 gallons and end with 5.5.

I started at about 8... i topped up when i transferred to carboy but...

let me see if i can post pictures imn a little bit... but its a candy stove... i think my dad said something like 3 or 400,000 BTU... not sure...:mug: hotter then hell...

EDIT: no i didn't have it turned up all the way or i would have tripped the regulator attached to the propane tank...

Back